• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook Pro?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    One doesn't have to do anything to them. Windows (all versions) is shoddy goods right out of the box. It really is an appalling crock of tulip, and each new version simply confirms that you can varnish, polish, and adorn a turd - but all you'll end up with is a turd that looks nicer than the last turd.

Seriously, Windows IS THAT BAD. I don't often shout, but if you need to ask the question, I'm not sure how to counter the fact that you haven't realised this basic truth yet other than by shouting. Sorry.
    10 years ago when I was suffering windows 98 at work I would have seen your point, infact if I was running a bit late getting something finished then it was quite easy to blame a windows crash.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

i've had my 15" mbp (2.8 ghz i7 8gb 1066mhz 500gb serial ata drive @ 7200) a few weeks. it arrived just as latest one was announced. it is a lovely thing and powerful enough to easily run the required database and apps that caused the old macbook to grind to a halt. i'd say do it!

Comment

*Waiting for the postman*

Having a shiny new 15" pro with much the same spec Bunk outlined but with the 2.3GHz (FWIW, I just maxed out all the options) delivered in the next few days. Got a tidy 14% discount too (Which I promptly offset with some very nice headphones).

I know I'm probably going to get an Air with the new job, so went heavyweight for the personal machine.

Comment

i had to wait too bloody long for mine. took a week from despatch of goods. still, worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            I've been researching it a bit the last couple of days. The other option I'm undecided about is the hard drive, 750GB 5200rpm, 500GB 7200rpm, for the same price, or a SSD, but then I'd want at least the 256GB, but is that enough? And it's starting to get really expensive by then.
            I got mine with the 5200rpm drive and if i bought now would get a 7200 one as its the weak point in an otherwise super speedy machine. The plan is to upgrade it to an SSD when the prices plummet, capacities increase and tech gets swankier in the coming year.

I'd say the current 256GB SSD option is too small as I dual boot Win 7 so with the traditional HD I can allocate 250GB to each OS whereas the SSD would only give an easily fillable 128 for each.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              *Waiting for the postman*

Having a shiny new 15" pro with much the same spec Bunk outlined but with the 2.3GHz (FWIW, I just maxed out all the options) delivered in the next few days.

Did you go for the SSD?
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Did you go for the SSD?
                No - as Durbs says - I'll see how the market pans out and may do an after market upgrade when they get more reasonable. Also - 256GB is too small for me. I went for the 7200 500GB drive.

I've heard that SSDs are incredibly fast. I've not heard much about their longevity though.

Comment

What I find rather crazy is that people quite easily spend £2k on a laptop yet hesitate getting a £100 SSD.
                  Bloody get it right now, it is the most noticeable boost you can give to your laptop.
                  The longevity for a ;power user; is usually 7-10years before first cells become write only (ie no data loss), you WILL upgrade long before that.
                  The setup I am running now is just SSD, although for the time being I had a combo of SSD + HDD instead of the useless DVD in my mBP.

What you also have to realise is that current gen SSDs like Corsair Force already exceed SATA2 bandwidth. From the performance previews of the next-gen Vertex3 and Intel 510 it looks that in order to see the gains you need a 6GBit SATA3 controller, which afaik even the latest MBPs don't have, so you might as well get the SSD now because even if better ones do come out in the future they will be more expensive and you won't see any gains anyway (unless you connect externally through thunderbolt somehow).
                  Also with the transition to 25nm NAND MLC cells, there's an even shorter lifespan of a cell, so the producers have to over provision more so you're getting 115GB rather than 120GB pre-formatted space for the same price.

Did I mention get the SSD _NOW_ ?

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                    What I find rather crazy is that people quite easily spend £2k on a laptop yet hesitate getting a £100 SSD.
                    Bloody get it right now, it is the most noticeable boost you can give to your laptop.
                    I would have gone for the 512GB SSD happily - but it would've added £880 to the cost. The budget was around 2K - I wouldn't have hesitated had I seen it for £1-200. £880 is a stretch too far.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                      Where did you see the £100 SSD's?

I only saw the one that was £900!
                      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X