• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard disk failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard disk failure

Yay, happy days.

HDD has just started making a ticking noise and is refusing to work. I just get a Primary Disk Failure message on booting.

It was the C: partition as well. Have taken it out and stuck it in a Linux box but still no joy. Both machines detected the disk but only windows could determine the type. Fortunately it's only the OS and programes plus a few personal docs installed on it but I'd rather not have to reinstall everything.

Would quite like to get the personal stuff back but it's nothing that can't be redone.

Any ideas or am I now the proud owner of a samsung paperweight?

What a perfect start to the weekend

Put it in a plastic bag, seal it and stick it in the freezer overnight.

Then plug it in and boot it up the next day and copy as quick as you can.

Rinse and repeat until you have all your data.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Yay, happy days.

HDD has just started making a ticking noise and is refusing to work. I just get a Primary Disk Failure message on booting.

It was the C: partition as well. Have taken it out and stuck it in a Linux box but still no joy. Both machines detected the disk but only windows could determine the type. Fortunately it's only the OS and programes plus a few personal docs installed on it but I'd rather not have to reinstall everything.

Would quite like to get the personal stuff back but it's nothing that can't be redone.

this happened to my MacBook recently, but i was able to recover everything using DiskWarrior. it's Mac only but i think it can recover NTFS and FAT partitions.

forking out for disk recovery software is your only hope IMHO.
      Originally posted by BolshieBastard
      You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Put it in a plastic bag, seal it and stick it in the freezer overnight.

Then plug it in and boot it up the next day and copy as quick as you can.

Rinse and repeat until you have all your data.
        Does this really work? How well do you have to seal the bag. I mean, are we talking vacuum packing here or just tying a knot in it?

Comment

Yay, happy days.

For windows, try Restorer 2000 Pro (maybe after the freezer trick)

Comment

Does this really work? How well do you have to seal the bag. I mean, are we talking vacuum packing here or just tying a knot in it?
            Yup, but it's the last thing to try usually. you want to try and avoid any moisture getting in the bag, but we are only talking about overnight not for weeks/months knot in it should be fine.

Comment

Cheers all.

I'll need to purchase another disk anyways as this one is most probably fcuked. Install an OS and see what I can get off the old one.

Will try the freezer trick tonight though

Bugger!

Comment

When the disk on my Mac laptop started ticking I just switched it off overnight to cool down and managed to grab a backup of it immediately after switching it on the next day.

(I already had an external Firewire disk to copy to.)
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  When the disk on my Mac laptop started ticking I just switched it off overnight to cool down and managed to grab a backup of it immediately after switching it on the next day.

(I already had an external Firewire disk to copy to.)
                  The 'tick of death' seems to be a fairly common problem with most Mac models except the high-end Mac-Pros (not MacBookPros as these are affected also).

One might almost suspect they are sourcing 'seconds' from the drive mfrs.

I run SuperDuper on my iMac once a day so I get a boot-able clone if the worst comes to the worst.

Poor show though, Apple

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

How old is the Samsung?

Its worth typing the serial number in here to check out if its still in warranty.

If it is they turn around same day they receive the old one.

Comment

Working...
                    X