• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard disk failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is ticking remove it and wallop it on the desk. I know this sounds harsh, but it does free them up. If it does free it up, copy all data from it immediately to another drive and then bin it. It will only start sticking again.

J

Comment

Three things and i guaruntee they do work:

1/ Hirens boot CD
      2/ Freezer trick [yes i know it sounds crazy but iv'e used and so has others]
      3/ wack on a hard surface - make sure that the flat edge hits the desk - also this method is a bit 50/50

Comment

My 80gb mobile HD has failed . I've tried everything on this post and more. Has anyone ever used a data recovery firm, and if so what was the cost/success rate.

This was my box of tricks whilst on site so I'd like to get as much back as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
          My 80gb mobile HD has failed . I've tried everything on this post and more. Has anyone ever used a data recovery firm, and if so what was the cost/success rate.

This was my box of tricks whilst on site so I'd like to get as much back as possible.
          Yes - Disk Labs.

Cost was quite high as you can appreciate as they have you in a 'corner' so to speak.

Used them twice:

First time was a failed HDD where all data was retrieved.

Second time was to recover data from a drive which had been formatted as part of the XP install process. Unfortunately, they were un-able to retrieve any data.

Can't remember exact costs but the first instance was £200 - £400 and the second there was no cost as they were un-successful in retrieving any data. They only charged to ship the drive back to me.

On both occassions, the service was very good.

HTH.

Comment

Cheers Clippy. I'll check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Yes - Disk Labs.

Cost was quite high as you can appreciate as they have you in a 'corner' so to speak.

Used them twice:

First time was a failed HDD where all data was retrieved.

Second time was to recover data from a drive which had been formatted as part of the XP install process. Unfortunately, they were un-able to retrieve any data.

Can't remember exact costs but the first instance was £200 - £400 and the second there was no cost as they were un-successful in retrieving any data. They only charged to ship the drive back to me.

On both occassions, the service was very good.

HTH.
              That sounds expensive if all they do is shove it in a freezer for a night or hit it on a desk - Plan B I think!!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                That sounds expensive if all they do is shove it in a freezer for a night or hit it on a desk - Plan B I think!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  These guys were very professional - have proper facilities, similar environment to hard drive production sites but much smaller scale.

However, on the second occasion I used them, I rang around several 'firms' in London and I got the distinct impression some of the people I spoke to were one man bands who were plucking figures (£500/£600) out of the air and would probably just try and run some freeware s/w from CNet to try and recover the data.

Comment

That is the point I was making - What steps do they go through to determine that they can't get the data back. So you HD fails and you send it to them. They know that you will have tried and failed to get the data back yourself. So they stick it in the freezer and try with no joy. They hit it hard and still nothing, so they call you and tell you that recovery was impossible and dispose of the drive for you at no charge. On the other hand, if one of the steps does work, they call you, charge you a couple of hundred quid for the drive to sleep next to their fish fingers for the night. It seems like something which could easily and profitably be abused

Plan B then! If you get 10 drives a year to work with the freezer trick at say 300 a drive, you have a nice £3000 profit. Not enough to live on, but eough for a few nice toys!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X