• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CCTV to PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCTV to PC

Due to neighbourly problems I have got a wireless CCTV. Hoping it will not be needed, but, some sound advice on this board was to get such a set-up to the PC incase I need any evidence of any vandalism from the fool opposite.

Got a WX Digital tiny wireless camera and digital radio AV receiver.

so far, so good, works.

Problem is that after only 5 mins recording it is up to 300 MB's, around 2MB every 5 secs!!

Guessing I need some alternative software that will not take as much space, maybe a screenshot every couple of secs instead. Instad of using my Dell lappie going to use my P4 Fujitsu Siemens that is around 4 years old, and only around 10gig, so need to work on the space issue!

Any ideas?

Also - there is a power adapter for the camera, or a 9v battery. How long do these batteries last?

Can mount easily on the wooden guttering area, outside, so clear view, yet dry from the rain - perfect.

you can get motion activated IP cameras from Panasonic that email/sms to your phone also.

try broadbandstuff.co.uk

and transparentcommunications.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      you can get motion activated IP cameras from Panasonic that email/sms to your phone also.

try broadbandstuff.co.uk

and transparentcommunications.com
      Thanks for the reply.

Managed to tweak down to 450M/hr, so, if I get a 80GIG hard disk I should be OK for a weeks worth of recording.

Call me paranoid, but, given the threats and police involvement with the loon I want to play safe, even if it means having a desktop PC up and running all the time!

Ideally I wanted a record to tape option, but, as I have got this kit already, I think I should be sorted with just an extra £30 for the hard disk.

Comment

For an extra £50 on top of that you can get a 500 GB hard drive

Comment

Sympathies Wilmslow, we have had similar problems with a petty minded malicious neighbour for years. Let us know how the CCTV goes, was thinking about it myself.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Or 1.5 Tb for £162
            That should see you through the long weekend.

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...0000&InMerch=1

Comment

[deleted by CUK]
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 March 2008, 09:53.
              The answer is never

Comment

Originally posted by TravelMonkey View Post
                FFS get out there and sort it!!! Do u expect the old bill to magically appear cos ya neighbour told u to **** off??? Maybe you should just grow a pair, its a lot cheaper than cctv, an hard disk drives. Fags whinging about this tulip without taking action is a ******* joke!!
                Yes! a criminal record, a brain damage from a kicking, or a knife in the back is always the sensible way to go.

How many killed in neighbor disputes in the last year, 7 or is it 8
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Have a look at Sony's kit. About four years ago I was testing a product called Realshot manager which they were bundling with their IP cameras for free. At the time the software was capable of:
                  1. Showing multiple camera feeds, being triggered by inputs on doors (so if a door opens it starts recording).
                  2. Being triggered by movement in front of the camera (so if somebody walks in front of the camera recording is triggered and on the PTZ cameras it could follow the movement)
                  3. Had a configurable buffer, you set the buffer to 10 seconds and it automatically saves the 10 seconds before the trigger was fired (gives you a chance to see what caused the trigger).
                  At the time they were also working on face recognition and had a 90% success rate. Now bearing in mind that this was four years ago just imagine the improvements they could have implemented since then!

Comment

Will you be allowed to submit the recordings to the police ?

Don't you have to put a sign up saying you are recording ?

Comment

Working...
                    X