Terrible voice recognition on Android?
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,460
    Thanks (Given)
    103
    Thanks (Received)
    379
    Likes (Given)
    165
    Likes (Received)
    1311

    Default Terrible voice recognition on Android?

    I've been cautiously impressed using Google voice commands to set up meetings and alarms. But bizarrely the one thing it is getting worse at is letting me say "call 123 456 789". It has some really bad errors which I find hard to fathom.

    For instance I tell it to call a number "blah blah blah four thousand". Which it hears as "blah blah blah 4444". How on earth can you mis-hear "four thousand" as "four four four four"?!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  2. #2

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,982
    Thanks (Given)
    1273
    Thanks (Received)
    1030
    Likes (Given)
    4386
    Likes (Received)
    3951

    Default

    Your accent?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,460
    Thanks (Given)
    103
    Thanks (Received)
    379
    Likes (Given)
    165
    Likes (Received)
    1311

    Default

    What conceivable accent can those two things sound similar? Or can it mis-hear "double three" as "37". If it can't understand me it should just say so, not dial a random number!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  4. #4

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,982
    Thanks (Given)
    1273
    Thanks (Received)
    1030
    Likes (Given)
    4386
    Likes (Received)
    3951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    What conceivable accent can those two things sound similar? Or can it mis-hear "double three" as "37". If it can't understand me it should just say so, not dial a random number!
    Cos you don't have a US one.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  5. #5

    Banned


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    11,019
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    253
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    1462

    Default

    I had a Parrot in my car once, (device not bird), and I used the voice commands on it;

    'Call Mother..'

    and it replied with..

    'Calling Paul Dixon...' and called him before I could stop it. Hadn't spoke to him for over four years so had to spend the rest of the journey catching up on my dollar......

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,263
    Thanks (Given)
    136
    Thanks (Received)
    1360
    Likes (Given)
    1731
    Likes (Received)
    5824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    I had a Parrot in my car once, (device not bird), and I used the voice commands on it;

    'Call Mother..'

    and it replied with..

    'Calling Paul Dixon...' and called him before I could stop it. Hadn't spoke to him for over four years so had to spend the rest of the journey catching up on my dollar......
    You not installed the patch that improves the recognition of thick Bolton accents? The addition of a quick command to dial Bargain Booze and Greggs is useful as well apparently.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    Banned


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    11,019
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    253
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    1462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    You not installed the patch that improves the recognition of thick Bolton accents? The addition of a quick command to dial Bargain Booze and Greggs is useful as well apparently.
    Greggs!!!

    Carrs Pasties in Bolton closely followed by Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe pasties my friend!

  8. #8

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Littering gel wrappers in Surrey
    Posts
    95,892
    Thanks (Given)
    20583
    Thanks (Received)
    5295
    Likes (Given)
    20583
    Likes (Received)
    9195

    Default

    NLUK tried "please show my CUK inbox" and it broke.

    Works for his accountant though.
    Katy Perry - don't be afraid to catch feels. Taylor Swift - feels $1 a go.

  9. #9

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,982
    Thanks (Given)
    1273
    Thanks (Received)
    1030
    Likes (Given)
    4386
    Likes (Received)
    3951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    Greggs!!!

    Carrs Pasties in Bolton closely followed by Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe pasties my friend!
    Greggs don't sell pasties they sell "bakes", sausage rolls and yum-yums.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.