• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd problem with wireless repeater.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Obviously yes.

I have a pair of TP-Link power line thingies (not Wifi), and they mostly work but do lose the connection every now and again. That's just going from downstairs to upstairs in my smallish house, whereas Wifi works perfectly everywhere.

The wifi to wifi extenders always strike me as a dumb idea. The only reason to have one is because your Wifi isn't great in the first place.
    It does depend on the layout of your house. Ours is fairly long and narrow with the network coming in at one end and the most important user (Mrs Eek in the kitchen) at the exact opposite end.

That means I've spent a lot of time trying to find a suitable solution and its only the newfangled mesh wifi networks that are just appearing on the market that seem to work. The BT whole home just seems to be the first to appear in the UK...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I've finally tonight got wifi working throughout the house thanks to https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt...le-home-wi-fi/

Yep its expensive (and I've had to fork out more as I'm replacing the router with a Draytek firewall for vpn purposes) but its plug and play and just works...

And we are contractors so its really what 1/2 a days money... Especially if you get cashback from Quidco or somewhere...
      Was it easy to install? Do the discs need to be located near power points? Does the Ethernet cable plug into the existing router?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Was it easy to install? Do the discs need to be located near power points? Does the Ethernet cable plug into the existing router?
        Ethernet cable (1) is plugged into the router (in our cases its not its at the other end of the homeplug in the garage). You then run an app to set up the first hub. With that one set up you move to the next hub following the instructions on the app before installing the final one. All 3 need to be by a power socket but that's just about the only requirement.

It took 10 minutes to install the entire network and its just worked since - currently supporting about 15 devices....

Comment

Ethernet cable (1) is plugged into the router (in our cases its not its at the other end of the homeplug in the garage). You then run an app to set up the first hub. With that one set up you move to the next hub following the instructions on the app before installing the final one. All 3 need to be by a power socket but that's just about the only requirement.

It took 10 minutes to install the entire network and its just worked since - currently supporting about 15 devices....
          I am so gonna bag me this kit. My house is on a slope so the upstairs isn't above the downstairs. Like a split level bunglaow so a considerable distance from one corner of the house to the other and for some reason the wifi signal through the walls is absolutely pants. Dunno if the conversion has the aluminium struts with the plasterboard on creating a faraday effect or the old concrete blocks. Anyway. I've got 2 BT routers as AP's the Meraki AP and a TP link kit and its a nightmare. Dropping the link between zones even though it's the same SSID etc, accessing each AP when I've forgotten the IP's etc. Great when it works but my heart sinks when one of the kids comes in and says Wifi's rubbish in his room and I've got to start trying to understand the setup again. I've got a fully networked house as well. It should be a piece of piss.

If that's as easy as it is I'm in! As much as I love my Meraki AP I'll probably end up getting rid of that if this setup works. It doesn't support that one touch setup thing which has been a bane, particularly with the TP Links.

Can you get add on AP's or is it limited to 3?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I am so gonna bag me this kit. My house is on a slope so the upstairs isn't above the downstairs. Like a split level bunglaow so a considerable distance from one corner of the house to the other and for some reason the wifi signal through the walls is absolutely pants. Dunno if the conversion has the aluminium struts with the plasterboard on creating a faraday effect or the old concrete blocks. Anyway. I've got 2 BT routers as AP's the Meraki AP and a TP link kit and its a nightmare. Dropping the link between zones even though it's the same SSID etc, accessing each AP when I've forgotten the IP's etc. Great when it works but my heart sinks when one of the kids comes in and says Wifi's rubbish in his room and I've got to start trying to understand the setup again. I've got a fully networked house as well. It should be a piece of piss.

If that's as easy as it is I'm in! As much as I love my Meraki AP I'll probably end up getting rid of that if this setup works. It doesn't support that one touch setup thing which has been a bane, particularly with the TP Links.

Can you get add on AP's or is it limited to 3?
            I don't know. There are instructions on how to add another one to the network, but I don't know if single additional ones are available yet....

Comment

I don't know. There are instructions on how to add another one to the network, but I don't know if single additional ones are available yet....
              Can they be wall mounted? I can't understand why the BT routers aren't made with this option.

Comment

Can they be wall mounted? I can't understand why the BT routers aren't made with this option.
                don't think so they have stands which don't seem detachable....

Comment

My house is on a slope so the upstairs isn't above the downstairs.
                  Does that make downloads faster than uploads?

Are these BT thingies using WiFi to communicate with each other or power cables? The website makes them sound amazing, but gives little detail on what they're really doing.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

don't think so they have stands which don't seem detachable....
                    Crap. What is it with BT and everything on stands.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Are these BT thingies using WiFi to communicate with each other or power cables? The website makes them sound amazing, but gives little detail on what they're really doing.
                      It does look like all wifi doesn't it? If that's the case, then adding more of them will just start ruining your wifi performance. If all you're after is coverage for a phone/tablet it's not a big deal but you might notice it if you have some network storage or any cameras or anything on there. I have cabling where I can do it, then homeplugs elsewhere and a couple of wired APs to cover the house - all depends on what you're comfortable with. Those BT thingies look easy, so a lot people are sold at that.

Comment

Working...
                      X