• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most economical way to get MS Office legitimately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd look at non MS options. Do we really need to be paying MS for what is basically the same old crap they've been churning out for 20 years?

www.freeoffice.com - FreeOffice for Windows, Linux and Android
    https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
    https://www.google.com/docs/about/

You really want to pay MS a monthly fee forever when 95% of people just knock up some documents, spreadsheets and presentation slides?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'd look at non MS options. Do we really need to be paying MS for what is basically the same old crap they've been churning out for 20 years?

You really want to pay MS a monthly fee forever when 95% of people just knock up some documents, spreadsheets and presentation slides?
      Agreed....he did mention macros, do those have any scripting?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Dunno, I've got Office 2007 from years ago on my laptop, don't intend to ever upgrade or go MS again.

I will leave it to the OP to investigate macros and scripting on these free alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          They don't work with MS Office macros.
          They have their own language.

They are basically fine for people who don't need them.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I also think that anyone with a .ac.uk email addy can also get a low cost deal too. All legit and legal.
            If you have a .ac.uk address it's free.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

As I said, these are big, complicated documents. Many have been maintained since 2000 or even earlier through many versions of Word and are hundreds of pages long with all kinds of styles as well as macros - they're originally .doc files distorted over the years. When I've tried other alternatives before, the styling alone defeats them
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

MS Office beat Lotus SmartSuite once IBM took Lotus over and shifted it, killing its competitive advantage; it hasn't looked back and hasn't had a decent competitor since. It's market share prevents competitors gaining an easy market entry (a bit like other dominant brands, e.g. Autotrader).

It being available throughout education makes it become the office suite of choice, that and most businesses using it. I've got Office 365 (but preferred my Lotus 123 Release 5 BASIC macros ) and had no bother with it. Nice and cheap, easy to maintain and install.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

When I looked, PC World had the best deal for a 5 user licence (plus 5 tablets, 5 phones). If you're an IPSE member, you can get 7% off as well.

I've always steered clear of buying software from eBay, but the PC World price was only £70 (minus 7%, so £65) and I knew that it would be legit and hassle free.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                    When I looked, PC World had the best deal for a 5 user licence (plus 5 tablets, 5 phones). If you're an IPSE member, you can get 7% off as well.

I've always steered clear of buying software from eBay, but the PC World price was only £70 (minus 7%, so £65) and I knew that it would be legit and hassle free.
                    I would be the same were it not that the license is just enter a key in microsofts website and watch the renewal date shift 12 months into the future
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Office 365 if you plan to use the other products you get and are ok paying per month. Alternatively you can buy it old school from Currys (you might even get a box with it

Comment

Working...
                      X