• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High end laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Do you have a beard?
    Do you like fixed speed bikes
    Yes, I keep short beard - too lazy to shave
    No, I don't like any bikes - too lazy to bike

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Yes, I keep short beard - too lazy to shave
      No, I don't like any bikes - too lazy to bike
      Ah, so you are no hipster
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Another Surface Book user here, sadly no beard but I do like to cycle.......that said, being a contractor, had to buy the all-singing-all-dancing Surface Book and when I cycle I am on a Scott Scale 940......oooh, and on beards, Philishave series 9000 ftw.

Back on topic, the Surface Book is a very decent machine....but, for specs alone, the latest XPS Dells are very good for less £s.
        latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

If you need a powerful Dell, you don't have to get the XPS, the Dell Precision 7510 can be specced up with a fast i7, 64GB DDR4 RAM and two fast SSD cards and a 4K IPS Panel.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If you need a powerful Dell, you don't have to get the XPS, the Dell Precision 7510 can be specced up with a fast i7, 64GB DDR4 RAM and two fast SSD cards and a 4K IPS Panel.
            i7 - you can get mobile Xeon's with it and proper NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards.

It's only takes 1 SSD though the other slot is a for a m.2 nvme card which is somewhat faster
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              i7 - you can get mobile Xeon's with it and proper NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards.

It's only takes 1 SSD though the other slot is a for a m.2 nvme card which is somewhat faster
              The only difference between Xeon and Core with the same architecture is that Xeon is unlocked for multi CPU socket use. No performance differences whatsoever, so unless you plan on dual socket Laptop it's pointless.

Samsung SM951 in the link is an OEM product, meaning no Samsung Warranty and Scan only give 2 years. Versus the 5 year warranty on Samsung 950 Pro which is a retail product - a bit more expensive, but also faster.

Comment

The only difference between Xeon and Core with the same architecture is that Xeon is unlocked for multi CPU socket use. No performance differences whatsoever, so unless you plan on dual socket Laptop it's pointless.

Samsung SM951 in the link is an OEM product, meaning no Samsung Warranty and Scan only give 2 years. Versus the 5 year warranty on Samsung 950 Pro which is a retail product - a bit more expensive, but also faster.
                All true but not accurate. The main Xeon advantage is ecc memory and at the time of launch better built in graphics.

The sm951 is what came in the laptop and is the one I linked to as I remember in the back of my mind there is an issue with the 950 pro and the 7510. I can't however be arsed to look for the report

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  All true but not accurate. The main Xeon advantage is ecc memory and at the time of launch better built in graphics.

The sm951 is what came in the laptop and is the one I linked to as I remember in the back of my mind there is an issue with the 950 pro and the 7510. I can't however be arsed to look for the report
                  Even Celerons support ECC Link

And what is the advantage of ECC in a Laptop, other than being generally slower and more expensive?

The build-in graphics have always been the same, with many Xeons even missing them altogether, can you quote which Xeons have better GPU than the corresponding Cores.

Comment

Even Celerons support ECC Link

And what is the advantage of ECC in a Laptop, other than being generally slower and more expensive?

The build-in graphics have always been the same, with many Xeons even missing them altogether, can you quote which Xeons have better GPU than the corresponding Cores.
                    Read my post again and look at release dates

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      ThinkPad P70 (17inch)| Mobile Workstation LaptopÂ*| Lenovo UK

£3,413.19

Ships in 11 business days

NVIDIA Quadro M3000M 4GB
                      Careful out there. Isn't the quadro some lame card from the days of yore?

I think these days you need a gtx1080, and if you are a cheapskate, the 1060 and 1070 are still better than that dinosaur.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm buying a new laptop in the next week or so, maybe Asus rog g752vs or a msi gt72vr.

Any other good options?

Comment

Working...
                      X