• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rar archive error

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rar archive error

Hello,
    On the computer stored, many files with the extension .rar, but one of the files no longer open and gives an error message: "Packed data CRC failed in volume name. The volume is corrupt"

What was the reason - have no idea.

However, I am trying to restore function in WinRAR - unsuccessfully.

Can anyone suggest how to open a file?

The file is corrupt. It happens. That is why people have backups. And backups of backups.

If another account comes along in the next few hours or days and drops a link to a site that purports to fix these errors I will hunt you down and force feed you floppy disks until you burst.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      The file is corrupt. It happens. That is why people have backups. And backups of backups.

If another account comes along in the next few hours or days and drops a link to a site that purports to fix these errors I will hunt you down and force feed you floppy disks until you burst.
      3.5" or 5.25"

5.25" would be easier to roll up and insert....
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

milan has some tapes spare if that's easier
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          milan has some tapes spare if that's easier
          He would have to steal them from his employer. You are not suggesting he do that are you?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If it doesn't work for your rar file, then you may look at topics where experienced users can help you and give a solution or last method is suitable only when your .rar archive is fully crashed

<admin>Links removed.</admin>

The process of doing this is as follows:
            1. Right click on the RAR files and from the list, click on the extract files option.
            2. A window will appear showing where a folder can be selected and where it may be saved.
            3. Choose the check box which gives the option ‘Open Broken file’.
            4. Click OK at the bottom of the window.
            5. A warning will pop up but it should be disregarded at this point.
            Last edited by administrator; 9 April 2016, 08:21.

Comment

Hunt you down and kill you it is

Comment

Hunt you down and kill you it is
                To be fair, you did say "next few...days" and it's been 8 or 9
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Check your version of Winrar. Perhaps the file needs a newer or (more likely) an older version.

Unix is quite good with archive formats. If you have access to a Linux box, try a few command line tools, eg unrar.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    To be fair, you did say "next few...days" and it's been 8 or 9
                    They did well waiting so long

Comment

Working...
                    X