• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Entertainment - Plex and NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Dlink DNS320 (£60) + Sata drive or two (£40 / 2TB) plus mini DLNA $2 from the chappie who does all the dlink
    apps.

so £100

+ £25 fire stick with downloader & Kodi (Easier Interface I can set up multiple DLNA servers with sensible display names) or VLC (Quicker but have to search for DLNA server - I have loads set up so it can be confusing)

each tv add another fire stick.

Rip using Handbrake & shrink with MakeMkv get movies down to < 700MB at reasonable quality or 2-3GB at original quality. So 500 - 1200 movies on 2TB.

CDs I ripped using windows media player set to FLAC lossless I have 400GB of music that I can play anywhere in the house via DLNA or Squeezebox. Will soon be able to play via Alexa - I hope!
    Alexa and a home based music server doesn't seem to be an option (although a few people have got very limited versions working using IFTTT). If you know anymore point me in the right direction an echo in the kitchen would be nice.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Alexa and a home based music server doesn't seem to be an option (although a few people have got very limited versions working using IFTTT). If you know anymore point me in the right direction an echo in the kitchen would be nice.
      current money seems to be on Jriver as easiest.

https://www.jriver.com/index.html

Though quite a few clever people are looking at it.

Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

+1 on Fire TV so use Plex and Kodi

the only 2 shames are
        1) it does not have an enigma2 app so I can connect to Vu+ box
        2) no vpn client app so I can use (1) when away from home on the Fire TV

I also use serviio media server on my Mac mini. I find the folder view option much better than Plex
        Last edited by css_jay99; 29 November 2016, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
          +1 on Fire TV so use Plex and Kodi

the only 2 shames are
          1) it does not have an enigma2 app so I can connect to Vu+ box
          2) no vpn client app so I can use (1) when away from home on the Fire TV

I also use serviio media server on my Mac mini. I find the folder view option much better than Plex
          Does Plex need a VPN?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Does Plex need a VPN?
            No, it uses port forwarding/upnp to connect/advertise your server public IP to plex.tv using the plex account associated with the server. Then the client checks on plex.tv based on the account for servers to connect to and connects using the public IP advertised by your server.

Same goes for servers of other people who share their libraries with your plex account - you see a list of servers in the client.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              No, it uses port forwarding/upnp to connect/advertise your server public IP to plex.tv using the plex account associated with the server. Then the client checks on plex.tv based on the account for servers to connect to and connects using the public IP advertised by your server.

Same goes for servers of other people who share their libraries with your plex account - you see a list of servers in the client.
              BTW it put me off Plex that it looked like you needed to create an account. But you don't (and I haven't) if all you want to do is use it on your LAN.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                BTW it put me off Plex that it looked like you needed to create an account. But you don't (and I haven't) if all you want to do is use it on your LAN.
                It needs Internet as I found out when I had no internet, major flaw for me.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  It needs Internet as I found out when I had no internet, major flaw for me.
                  What does it need internet? LAN stream to a TV? don't think so

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    What does it need internet? LAN stream to a TV? don't think so
                    Mine did.

Think it authenticates you http://plex.tv that was for laptop in bed mind, can't remember for telly, wasnt without Internet fir long.

Just googled it does need internet but u can turn it off for local, but new devices can't use it or something, I know it was a pita with no internet

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Mine did.

Think it authenticates you http://plex.tv that was for laptop in bed mind, can't remember for telly, wasnt without Internet fir long.

Just googled it does need internet but u can turn it off for local, but new devices can't use it or something, I know it was a pita with no internet
                      With an account presumably, and like I said you don't need one. I can't remember how I set up the Android app, but it must have found the server on the LAN. If you're just using a laptop with a browser then I would assume you either need to type the right URL for the server, or use the website and your account to find it.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X