• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to check out a local gig venue, pretty awesome band and good vibe there Jungle by night, bit of moroccan style ska with the doors and the clash thrown in.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      I just couldn't be arsed tonight.

I'll do some tomorrow.

And Sunday.

And the washing machine is leaking (more).

And it takes forever coz there's no hot water.

Ho hum.

I just have to make sure Mr N has enough fud in the freezer while I'm away and that people are aware I'm away in case he needs anything. He's a bit more mobile, so not so bad.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        In the pub (woop). Waiting for a lady (Woop Woop) :-)
        Home again. Draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Good t/a pizza though

Comment

5 minutes of question time and I have indegestion.

According to some bint an MP being a director is A Bad Thing. But an MP keeping their arm in a few hours a week as a GP or a dentist should be encouraged. Shame on Dimbleby for not asking whether the Dr or Dentist in question could be a director of the company providing those medical services.

Winkerz. I'm calling it a draw for the week.

Comment

Just checked my contract. It can be terminated without notice if "The Client requests that the Services cease or that the Personnel be removed from the Assignment for any reason", which renders the later mention of fourteen calendar days' written notice moot, as far as I can see

Still, as I've pointed out in the Professional forums myself on a number of occasions, there's no such thing as a notice period when you're a contractor - if they don't have any work for you to do, there's no billable time. At least the contract provides that I get paid for being on site, without requiring that I do anything while there, so I'll still get paid for today. And who knows: maybe they have a secret plan to keep me busy for the next few weeks. We shall see

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                5 minutes of question time and I have indegestion.

According to some bint an MP being a director is A Bad Thing. But an MP keeping their arm in a few hours a week as a GP or a dentist should be encouraged. Shame on Dimbleby for not asking whether the Dr or Dentist in question could be a director of the company providing those medical services.

Winkerz. I'm calling it a draw for the week.

A similar point was made, possibly by the same person, on Radio 4's Today programme the other morning, but the key factor as I understood it was that in professions such as medicine, it's an absolute requirement that one does a certain amount of professional work each year, otherwise one loses the right to practice.

So whereas Mr X, businessman, can lose his seat in an election and go off to sit on a board of directors the following morning even though he's been an MP for the last ten years, Dr Y in the same situation would be disbarred from returning to her trade or calling unless she had continued to do the required amount of work per annum alongside performing her duties as an MP. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that a member of such a profession should be exempted from the general rule disbarring MPs from carrying on outside work, to the extent necessary for them to retain their professional standing.

But I daresay the business types object to it because it's a blatant reminder of the fact that just about anybody could do their supposedly important work: unlike something like medicine or dentistry, it takes no real knowledge, skill, or training over and above being able to get a tie on in the morning without throttling themselves

In fact, I'd say go even further and make it a legal requirement that nobody can sit on the board of directors of a company unless they've been working in the relevant industry on a regular basis for the requisite amount of recent time. I reckon people who've actually worked on a railway would do a bloody sight better job of running one than some bozo who's only ever worked in the management structure of a bank, and vice versa. And don't even get me started on supermarket supremos being put in charge of hospitals or prisons, or other such social services

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Just checked my contract. It can be terminated without notice if "The Client requests that the Services cease or that the Personnel be removed from the Assignment for any reason", which renders the later mention of fourteen calendar days' written notice moot, as far as I can see

Still, as I've pointed out in the Professional forums myself on a number of occasions, there's no such thing as a notice period when you're a contractor - if they don't have any work for you to do, there's no billable time. At least the contract provides that I get paid for being on site, without requiring that I do anything while there, so I'll still get paid for today. And who knows: maybe they have a secret plan to keep me busy for the next few weeks. We shall see
                  I thought they were wanting you to go perm? Odd if there's nothing for you to do...

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      I thought they were wanting you to go perm? Odd if there's nothing for you to do...
                      I know. I've long since given up trying to understand clients

Comment

Working...
                      X