• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT people are overly wedded to logic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Nope, not me Jeff. I'm the complete opposite; in fact you may regard me as a bit of a charlatan as I only got into this lark for the money

And while I'm not earning me crust I'm out there high rolling the local fruitees and doing some very un-geeky things which normally result in 2 knee shaped dents on the bonnet of me motor
    You need to watch your paintwork. . .

Who said Volvo owners weren't dirty?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Most programmers who work in IT have the equivalent personality of Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.
      Without the savant part

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        I have observed that a large number of people in IT- especially on the technical side exhibit some levels of behaviour from the autism spectrum
        Well interesting what I see often are arrogant rude people who seem to think the world owes them a living because they happen to have manager to learn (a possible quite difficult) skill.

Who then seem to think that because of that they have a right to do as little work as possible, talk down to everyone and generally act like a pr1ck.

You could call it geekyness, you could call it Autism - I generally call it being a childish douchbag but hey so what!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I got 94 last time.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            I got 94 last time.
            No you didn't, you got 21.

Comment

No you didn't, you got 21.
              Bollocks, he got 43

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                "IT people are overly wedded to logic". Discuss...

I am a classic Computer Programmer type personality. I can call myself a Software Developer to sound slightly more cool (alright, I mean slightly less geeky), but fundamentally I am a massive introvert and extremely rational with an under-developed sense of humour. I hate to resort to a trekkie reference, but think: Mr Spock.

I do think that IT people, at least programmers, are generally of a certain personality type. What does thou reckon?
                Although this may well apply to you, I think IT people are more binary in how they think. Everything is rules based and it is either right or wrong. It is engineers that think logically because they have to get things to work with limited resources. This is why you will find that the footsie top exec boards are stacked with engineers and in all probability not one IT person.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Well interesting what I see often are arrogant rude people who seem to think the world owes them a living because they happen to have the word manager in their title.

Who then seem to think that because of that they have a right to do as little work as possible, talk down to everyone and generally act like a pr1ck.
                  FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Although this may well apply to you, I think IT people are more binary in how they think. Everything is rules based and it is either right or wrong. It is engineers that think logically because they have to get things to work with limited resources. This is why you will find that the footsie top exec boards are stacked with engineers and in all probability not one IT person.
                    So why do you often accuse people who disagree with you on political matters of being 'lefties'? Politics isn't a simple binary left-right matter.

Comment

So why do you often accuse people who disagree with you on political matters of being 'lefties'? Politics isn't a simple binary left-right matter.
                      It is when your single brain cell is either on or off....
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X