+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 670
  1. #1

    TykeLike

    SimonMac - scorchio!

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    21,887
    Thanks (Given)
    220
    Thanks (Received)
    1027
    Likes (Given)
    788
    Likes (Received)
    2836

    Default Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

    I guess a few of us on here have a more than casual interest in the stock market, I have a few quid in the banks as I still think they are massively undervalued long term, but I like what I am hearing from US Oil & Gas PLC (USOP), not openly traded as they are on GXG but a solid investment recently and a company that actually produces something has to be a safer bet than "service" companies
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  2. #2

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    102
    Likes (Given)
    100
    Likes (Received)
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I guess a few of us on here have a more than casual interest in the stock market, I have a few quid in the banks as I still think they are massively undervalued long term, but I like what I am hearing from US Oil & Gas PLC (USOP), not openly traded as they are on GXG but a solid investment recently and a company that actually produces something has to be a safer bet than "service" companies
    Unless you have a real grasp of what you're doing then I'd say there's a fair chance you'll be ripe for loosing cash. I've been invested in AIM for about three years and surprised I've got any hair left. If the big boys can manipulate LIBOR you can be 99% sure other markets are.

    For what it is worth (very little) I have a fair whack Falklands oil explorers in RKH, a little in DES and a few Tesco in an ISA (which gave me a rather nice half yearly dividend of 3% today).
    Last edited by The_Equalizer; 11th July 2012 at 15:45.

  3. #3
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,229
    Thanks (Given)
    1011
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    6283
    Likes (Received)
    2204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Unless you have a real grasp of what you're doing
    If he had it he would not have asked for investment advice in CUK General...

  4. #4

    crap ex-mod

    MarillionFan - scorchio!

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34,692
    Thanks (Given)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    473
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    2051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    If he had it he would not have asked for investment advice in CUK General...
    Simon Mac has only just worked out how to login to CUK. That makes him an expert in everything.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  5. #5

    TykeLike

    SimonMac - scorchio!

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    21,887
    Thanks (Given)
    220
    Thanks (Received)
    1027
    Likes (Given)
    788
    Likes (Received)
    2836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    If he had it he would not have asked for investment advice in CUK General...
    At what point did my post ask for advice, in fact I was giving it, but I know your grasp of the English language may not be up to that of a native speak so I will forgive your foreign ignorance.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Simon Mac has only just worked out how to login to CUK. That makes him an expert in everything.
    **** you and your fat ass momma too
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  6. #6
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,229
    Thanks (Given)
    1011
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    6283
    Likes (Received)
    2204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    At what point did my post ask for advice, in fact I was giving it

  7. #7

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    32,549
    Thanks (Given)
    265
    Thanks (Received)
    705
    Likes (Given)
    4166
    Likes (Received)
    3504

    Default

    1. The value of investments and any income from them may go down as well as up. You may not get back all of your original investment.
    2. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance.
    3. Rates of exchange may cause the value of underlying investments to go up or down.
    4. Tax arrangements may change.
    5. All stock market based investment is exposed to a degree of risk.
    6. Your home may be at risk if you set fire to it.

    HTH BIDI

    PS Good luck
    Patiently waiting for the much publicised and feared Brexit Doom.....

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    BlasterBates is NOT a disguised employee

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Trump University
    Posts
    10,563
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    192
    Likes (Given)
    311
    Likes (Received)
    703

    Default

    I just received a dividend of 8% on my Greek investment

    Remember, he who dares



    As George Soros said if you want to make money invest where people fear to tread....but it will be a bumpy ride.

    I´m not convinced by the banks, the tech companies still haven´t recovered from the dot com crash, and Japanese stocks are still more or less where they were when the Nikkei crashed in the 1990´s. Always best to focus on stocks that get stuffed simply because they´re there as well...i.e. after the 2008 banking crash everything else crashed with it, but most of these companies had nothing to do with the banks, and 2 years later they´d recovered their values, here you were seeing 100-300% rises, mining or oil companies for example.
    Author of the best seller "How to get Poor quickly"

  9. #9

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    32,549
    Thanks (Given)
    265
    Thanks (Received)
    705
    Likes (Given)
    4166
    Likes (Received)
    3504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I just received a dividend of 8% on my Greek investment

    Remember, he who dares



    As George Soros said if you want to make money invest where people fear to tread....but it will be a bumpy ride.

    I´m not convinced by the banks, the tech companies still haven´t recovered from the dot com crash, and Japanese stocks are still more or less where they were when the Nikkei crashed in the 1990´s. Always best to focus on stocks that get stuffed simply because they´re there as well...i.e. after the 2008 banking crash everything else crashed with it, but most of these companies had nothing to do with the banks, and 2 years later they´d recovered their values, here you were seeing 100-300% rises, mining or oil companies for example.
    True. I think there are some good value stocks in various unloved EU countries at the moment, especially Italian stocks.

    E.g.

    Enel S.p.A.: BIT:ENEL quotes & news - Google Finance

    Yields 11%

    Market cap of 22bn
    Patiently waiting for the much publicised and feared Brexit Doom.....

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors

    lukemg is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,895
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default

    Got loads of legacy active-managed funds, which I am not adding to (high mgmt costs = not a good idea)
    Got a HYP with about 15 obvious contenders in a SIPP.
    Most current and future money will be dripped into lowest cost US general and UK income trackers(vanguard do an income one I am looking at starting with a chun on the next market dip).
    With occasional dips into emerging market and other Investment Trusts - very different from OEIC and individual shares.
    This should be the same for most on here but if you want some excitement, suggest you reserve 10% for dabbling in small oil shares etc
    Gets quite addictive seeing those dividends coming in - got FCPT too which pays every month.
    This IS my plan B + warchest, more I find out, more interested I get - start with fool.co.uk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.