• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Way Out vol. CXVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Way Out vol. CXVII

This time next week, stuff like this will be from the bench again
    • Body Hacking: My Magnetic Implant - "Let’s talk about magnet implants. I don’t really bring it up much, but I have a small rare earth magnet implanted in the pinkie finger on my right hand. I’ve had it for around three years now." Dann Berg talks about his magnetic finger

• Visual Hallucinations and Form Constants - "Whether or not you know about or care to use the [Cartesian and polar] mathematical coordinate systems, it seems that our eyes and brains already make use of them when seeing and hallucinating." Interesting examination of how mathematics can lead to an understanding of visual processing. There's Mathematica code for generating the example figures for you to download and play with, and if you're interested there's some follow-up discussions linked to on the home page of the blog.

• Think Hiring a Ruby Developer is Hard? Try Staffing a Nuclear Reactor Startup - "Leslie Dewan and Mark Massie, both nuclear engineering PhD students at MIT, started working on Transatomic Power, a nuclear reactor design startup, back in 2010, and incorporated it last year. The company’s product is called the Waste-Annihilating Molten Salt Reactor (WAMSR) which they claim is not only safer than traditional nuclear reactors, but generates power using the radioactive waste of existing nuclear plants." Sounds like a more interesting thing to do after graduating than teaching or recruitment consultancy.

• Cat Odyssey: Indiana State Prison, Michigan City, Indiana: A Better Place for Everyone - "Indiana State Prison is a men’s maximum security prison. Before coming here, I had mentioned my impending visit in various conversations. Concerned cat lovers had fretted over the fate of cats confined with such a rough crowd. 70% of the offenders incarcerated at Indiana State Prison are there for murder." Diana Partington on a remarkable prison programme which allows inmates to keep cats.

• How to Write Like a Scientist - "I didn’t know whether to take my Ph.D. adviser’s remark as a compliment. 'You don’t write like a scientist,' he said, handing me back the progress report for a grant that I had written for him. In my dream world, tears would have come to his eyes, and he would have squealed, 'You write like a poet!' In reality, though, he just frowned. He had meant it as a criticism. I don’t write like a scientist, and apparently that’s bad." Adam Ruben wonders why scientific writing requires the abandonment of creative and interesting language.

• Pentametron - This algorithm crawls Twitter looking for tweets that are in the form of iambic pentameters, and strings them together into sonnets: "Tomorrow is a very busy day / The softness of a pillow.. Is unmatched. / See always nothing verge the breaking down ! / I'm not the shooter, I'm the bullet BITCH!"

• Frustro: The Impossible Typeface - "Hungarian designer Martzi Hegedűs has created a single typeface, titled Frustro, on the sole premise of making it impossible. Based on the illusion of the Penrose triangle... the type appears to be facing two different directions simultaneously."

• 20 iconic tech sounds bound for extinction - "From the hum of an old car's engine to the galunk! of a fictional plumber's fireball, sounds have an amazing ability to transport us back in time. Even just a two-second pop is often enough to bring back powerful memories of people, places, and objects from the past." JR Raphael collects together samples of some of the sounds that will disappear with old technology, or "...may already be meaningless to the 20-somethings of today."

• Satellites expose 8,000 years of civilization - "Hidden in the landscape of the fertile crescent of the Middle East, scientists say, lurk overlooked networks of small settlements that hold vital clues to ancient civilizations... By combining spy-satellite photos obtained in the 1960s with modern multispectral images and digital maps of Earth's surface, the researchers have created a new method for mapping large-scale patterns of human settlement."

• Screenshots of Despair - e.g. this bleak message from Spotify:

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    This time next week, stuff like this will be from the bench again

Body Hacking: My Magnetic Implant - "Let’s talk about magnet implants. I don’t really bring it up much, but I have a small rare earth magnet implanted in the pinkie finger on my right hand. I’ve had it for around three years now." Dann Berg talks about his magnetic finger
    But why???

Comment

Posting from the Way Out? I didn't think a nightclub would be open this early
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        If it ain't broke, they must have designed it before 1985.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it: ancient computers in use today | ITworld
        I was telnet(ing) into this thing yesterday Homebrew CPU Home Page

Comment

The biggest problem with maintaining such ancient computer systems is that the original technicians who knew how to configure and maintain them have long since been outsourced and offshored, so no one is left with the knowledge required to fix them if they break.
          Eeeeek!
          FTFY.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Eeeeek!
            There are a large number of clients I know in the same boat. I made a few grand from being quicker on ebay than 1 client for a certain modem model.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              [*]Frustro: The Impossible Typeface - "Hungarian designer Martzi Hegedűs has created a single typeface, titled Frustro, on the sole premise of making it impossible. Based on the illusion of the Penrose triangle... the type appears to be facing two different directions simultaneously."
              I feel some business cards coming on
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nice links once again NF - ty!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Huffman's Apple IIe setup is nothing fancy, but it is fully stocked. It's equipped with 128 kilobytes of RAM, the standard 1MHz 6502 CPU, and AppleSoft BASIC in ROM. It contains five expansion cards: a printer card, two disk interface cards, a serial port card, and an 80-column video card. For peripherals, he uses an Apple DuoDisk unit, a 10-inch amber video monitor, and a trusty workhorse of a printer--a Star NP-10 that "is still going strong at 26-plus years old," he says.
                  Probably boots up quickly too. I remember printers like that, they became obsolete rather than going tits-up, and now I'm lucky if I get a few dozen pages out of my printers before something starts screwing up or the ink dries up.

Comment

I was really gutted when I found that my Triumph Adler daisy wheel printer had died.

I think the mice ate the power supply whilst I wasn't looking.
                    I've found that Electrolytics drying out is a major cause of problems with old hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X