• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we heading for a mini ice age?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    My German is a bit rusty, could you tell us the timescales that Dr Latif was talking about?

As you value his opinion, you may also be interested in this recent interview

Exclusive interview with Dr. Mojib Latif, the man who confused the NY Times and New Scientist, the man who moved George Will and math-challenged Morano to extreme disinformation | ThinkProgress
    Mojib Latif is often on German TV and he said a year a two ago that global warming would pause for the next 20 - 30 years, ie that there was a natural cooling cycle driven by the oceans, that would negate Global Warming for 20 to 30 years I actually heard him say that.

But I fail to see how that has any relevance about what we were discussing. Presumably you googled the buzz word Mojib Latif and came up with that link that criticised Morano for misquoting him. Well I can only say the link contradicts what he was saying on TV .

Certainly Mojib has changed his tune since 2000 when he was predicting the warming to continue. Presumably he's reacting to the fact that there's been no warming since then.

In the 2000 article he categorically stated the warming would continue at the same rate with a probability of 95%; hence no more snow.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 February 2012, 18:08.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Mojib Latif is often on German TV and he said a year a two ago that global warming would pause for the next 20 - 30 years, ie that there was a natural cooling cycle driven by the oceans, that would negate Global Warming for 20 to 30 years I actually heard him say that.
      Sure about that? Memory can play tricks.

A leading scientist has hit out at misleading newspaper reports that linked his research to claims that the current cold weather undermines the scientific case for manmade global warming.

Mojib Latif, a climate expert at the Leibniz Institute at Kiel University in Germany, said he "cannot understand" reports that used his research to question the scientific consensus on climate change.

He told the Guardian: "It comes as a surprise to me that people would try to use my statements to try to dispute the nature of global warming. I believe in manmade global warming. I have said that if my name was not Mojib Latif it would be global warming."
      Leading climate scientist challenges Mail on Sunday's use of his research | Environment | The Guardian

In an interview back on October 1, Dr. Latif told me “we don’t trust our forecast beyond 2015″³ and “it is just as likely you’ll see accelerated warming” after then. Indeed, in his published research, rapid warming is all-but-inevitable over the next two decades. He told me, “you can’t miss the long-term warming trend” in the temperature record, which is “driven by the evolution of greenhouse gases.”
      FoxNews, WattsUpWithThat push falsehood-filled Daily Mail article on global cooling that utterly misquotes, misrepresents work of Mojib Latif and NSIDC | ThinkProgress
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

You seem to be off track. To be honest it's irrelevant to what he said in the Spiegel article.

You seem to be attacking Morano....so what.

Did anyone here quote Morano? no. Do we care? no

THis seems like another case of googling for buzzwords, and posting whatever you find regardless of what it's about.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

In the 2000 article he categorically stated the warming would continue at the same rate with a probability of 95%; hence no more snow.
          Der Spiegel is still a secondary source. We can settle this really easily, just find a primary source - a journal article, something written firsthand by a climate scientist, an IPCC projection, the Met Office or similar that predicted a snow free UK by now.

Good luck with that.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
          X