• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independent Scotland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'd be interested to know just how many Scots would vote for independence, for that matter who would be eligible to vote? I'd guess only those on the electoral rolls in Scotland.
    It would have a noticeable effect on Westminster elections if Scotland did secede.
    Every Scot who blamed others for his misfortune would vote for independence. At latest estimates around 80%

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      for their cultural, artistic, sporting or social contribution?
      Hmmm...Scotland:

Cultural - there was a good reason Hadrian built the wall & unless alcohol abuse and wearing skirts is a cultural trait can't think of anything else

Artistic- Piss artists maybe... the painters seem very mediocre, singers - Susan Boyle/ Sheena Easton /Waterboys/UltraVox appears to be as good as it gets,

Sporting - Scottish football - always good for a laugh at the World Cup

Social - not the kind of people you really would want to invite to any function
      Last edited by Troll; 17 May 2011, 12:15.
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        Perhaps you should consider the statement in its full context and consider what the discussion is regarding before placing foot to mouth.
        Nonsense is nonsense, regardless of what one feels about Scottish independence or ones prognosis for an independent Scotland's economic prospects.

I'll give you a little clue, below is a map signifying the EU, commonly referred to as Europe in political circles (rightly or wrongly).

What do you think the little grey bit surrounded by all the green is on the map around about where Switzerland lies?
        Whether you take Europe to mean the EU or the entire continent makes no difference.

Case A)
        Europe the continent - Switzerland is Europe's Switzerland.

Case B)
        Europe the EU - Switzerland is Europe's Switzerland, i.e. a country apart, and for Scotland to be "Europe's Switzerland" would require Scotland to leave the EU, not simply the UK.

He might have meant "Scotland could be the UK's Switzerland" (which would have been a metaphor) but that isn't what he said.
        Last edited by doodab; 17 May 2011, 12:17.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          No it isn't. If he had said "Europe's Bangladesh" or "Europe's Texas" it would be a metaphor, but as Switzerland is slap bang in the middle of ******* Europe I'm afraid it's just the figure of speech known as "an idiot talking bollocks"

Feel free to post some more examples of things you don't understand so I can help you with them. It's not like I have a lot of work on at the moment.
          Thanks but I don't often find things I don't understand. Things I don't like, a surfeit.

I did notice that the metaphor was illogical, in that as you say Switzerland is already in Europe so it is Europe's Switzerland, and that is a fact rather than a metaphor. However the original text does imply that Scotland would be a "Switzerland", so it is a metaphor.

I see your point though.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Whether you take Europe to mean the EU or the entire continent makes no difference.

Case A)
            Europe the continent - Switzerland is Europe's Switzerland.

Case B)
            Europe the EU - Switzerland is Europe's Switzerland, i.e. a country apart, and for Scotland to be on the same footing would require Scotland to leave the EU, not simply the UK.

He might have meant "Scotland could be the UK's Switzerland" (which would have been a metaphor) but that isn't what he said.
            I think he was trying to signify that Scotland would be the 'rich boy' of the Eurozone, using Switzerland as an example of fiscal success. That's how I read it.

Full article below:

How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland - This Britain, UK - The Independent
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I think he was trying to signify that Scotland would be the 'rich boy' of the Eurozone, using Switzerland as an example of fiscal success. That's how I read it.

Full article below:

How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland - This Britain, UK - The Independent
              Thats how anyone with an IQ above 50 would have read it, but doodab is a bit slow.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Thats how anyone with an IQ above 50 would have read it, but doodab is a bit slow.
                Go away knobjockey you're making the side look bad.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Hmmm...Scotland:

Cultural - there was a good reason Hadrian built the wall & unless alcohol abuse and wearing skirts is a cultural trait can't think of anything else
                  Not that it is the point, but Hadrian built the wall to keep out maurauders. The Romans didn't bring the land now called Scotland into the Roman Empire not alas because the Scots (who actually weren't there yet anyway) were too brave to conquer, but because the Roman Empire was based on colonising people rather than land, and there just weren't enough people up there to make it viable.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Care in the community. Where's your social conscience?

Comment

Its time you were banned again.

Comment

Working...
                      X