Further proof that the web offers us a choice of unicorns, ponies, or jackasses:
- How to work with “stupid” people - "...what you’re really evaluating is their judgment. Differences in judgment are rarely due to stupidity—in work, in friendships or in politics. You can’t address the problem until you identify the real cause. Calling everyone “stupid” leaves you with no next steps." Handy hints from Jason Crawford on dealing with everybody that isn't you.
- No. - blog containing only images of numbers.
- Portion Size, Then Vs. Now - "While increased sizes haven’t been the sole contributor to our obesity epidemic, large quantities of cheap food have distorted our perceptions of what a typical meal is supposed to look like." Liz Monte explains how Americans get to need two seats on the bus.
- The Secrets of Sleep - "From birth, we spend a third of our lives asleep. After decades of research, we’re still not sure why." Excellent (and long) National Geographic article about my favourite pastime.
- Color Survey Results - Randall Munroe, creator of online cartoon site xkcd, gathered over five million names for colours from over 222,500 user sessions. Here are his analyses of the results. "First, a few basic discoveries: ... Nobody can spell “fuchsia”."
- People of class drink alcohol - Razib Khan carried out an exhaustive analysis of correlations between alcohol consumption and other (US) demographic markers. "I was expecting it. That is, that the more intelligent, who scored high on a vocabulary test, would drink more than the dumb, who scored low. Look at the other correlates above. But I’ve rarely seen such a stark near-monotonic trend with Wordsum."
- The Fukn Quadr0-Pounder - another classic Usenet rant, this time from rec.food.veg. "After reading Ja-I-have-no-clue's lame ass, crap filled, VEGATUBULZ R PE0PUL T00 message for the 10,000th time in the last month, I was inspired to leave the house and make a dramatic change in my eating habits..."
- Long-Exposure Shot of a Roomba's Path Shows Beautifully Organized Chaos - "Ever wonder what the path of a Roomba looks like as it cleans your house? It's an amazing combination of randomness and precision, as shown by this long-exposure shot."
- Why Is Business Writing So Awful? - Jason Fried of 37signals shoots some fish in a barrel. "One of my favorite phrases in the business world is full-service solutions provider. A quick search on Google finds at least 47,000 companies using that one... Cost effective end-to-end solutions brings you about 95,000 results. Provider of value-added services nets you more than 600,000 matches. Exactly which services are sold as not adding value?"
- Officially Pronounced Dead? - Did Paul McCartney die in a car crash in November 1966? Was he then replaced with a lookalike who underwent plastic surgery, to avoid endangering the Beatles business? Are numerous clues to the truth hidden in lyrics, album sleeves, and fragments of songs played backwards? Of course not! Still, that doesn't stop people from gathering the "evidence". "Turn down the lights and pour yourself a glass of wine for you are about to explore one of the greatest rock and roll conspiracies of all time!"