Time out
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Time out

  1. #1

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,201
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default Time out

    I am at that stage where I know I need to plan taking some time out. Starting a new gig next week which looks like a fixed term, so after that looks like a good time to take it.

    Warchest is good, I can live for a few years, mortgage could be paid off if I wanted. So financially in a good place for a few months off.

    However, I am worried about returning after taking time out - people don't tend to like a gap. I am also worried about not being able to resist looking. Those that take time out, how do you manage it? Those that don't, how do you keep sane?

  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning

    Pip in a Poke 's job has never been outsourced

    Pip in a Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    706
    Thanks (Given)
    14
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    137

    Default


  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    ladymuck 's job has never been outsourced

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,589
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    98
    Likes (Given)
    675
    Likes (Received)
    320

    Default

    The longest time out I had was only about 3 months and only half of that was by choice. I stay sane by not being sane in the first place. Much easier to manage.

    I tend to just take lots of mini breaks when I'm feeling a bit worn out.

    That said, my life is very simple and easy with zero sources of stress.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz is a fount of knowledge

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    39,096
    Thanks (Given)
    1845
    Thanks (Received)
    2193
    Likes (Given)
    9932
    Likes (Received)
    5287

    Default

    I've only rarely had potential clients ask about the numerous gaps in my CV. Let's face it, most of them barely read past the most recent gig anyway.

    On those few occasions I have been asked, I throw in some vague stuff about learning new things and working on side projects, but make no secret of the fact that I just enjoy spending time not working, and don't regard making money as the be-all-and-end-all of my existence. The response is generally one of agreement tinged with envy, rather than pursed lips

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    Big Blue Plymouth 's job has never been outsourced

    Big Blue Plymouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    739
    Thanks (Given)
    66
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Given)
    134
    Likes (Received)
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    I've only rarely had potential clients ask about the numerous gaps in my CV. Let's face it, most of them barely read past the most recent gig anyway.

    On those few occasions I have been asked, I throw in some vague stuff about learning new things and working on side projects, but make no secret of the fact that I just enjoy spending time not working, and don't regard making money as the be-all-and-end-all of my existence. The response is generally one of agreement tinged with envy, rather than pursed lips
    End clients are OK with gaps, it's compliance that can be a headache. I took a couple of months out earlier in the year to do some work on the house & I was asked to provide some receipts to back up what I was saying when I was offered my current role.

    Worth bearing in mind if you're planning a few months in the fleshpots of Thailand or such like....

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,201
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    End clients are OK with gaps, it's compliance that can be a headache. I took a couple of months out earlier in the year to do some work on the house & I was asked to provide some receipts to back up what I was saying when I was offered my current role.

    Worth bearing in mind if you're planning a few months in the fleshpots of Thailand or such like....
    I go to the family apartment in Catalunya quite a lot, so will be interesting to see how things over there pan out with regards to me taking time out there and compliance!

  7. #7

    Super poster

    woohoo is NOT a disguised employee

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,258
    Thanks (Given)
    120
    Thanks (Received)
    147
    Likes (Given)
    697
    Likes (Received)
    521

    Default

    I usually say I've been learning new stuff, working on my own projects etc. Which is usually true.

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    Hobosapien 's job has never been outsourced

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    963
    Thanks (Given)
    25
    Thanks (Received)
    58
    Likes (Given)
    56
    Likes (Received)
    211

    Default

    Tell them that you've been in prison for tax evasion of IR35 and that as you have served the time you have a right under EU law (there will be one somewhere) to not be discriminated against.

    You'll have no problem at all.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  9. #9

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,913
    Thanks (Given)
    1254
    Thanks (Received)
    1025
    Likes (Given)
    4377
    Likes (Received)
    3935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    End clients are OK with gaps, it's compliance that can be a headache. I took a couple of months out earlier in the year to do some work on the house & I was asked to provide some receipts to back up what I was saying when I was offered my current role.

    Worth bearing in mind if you're planning a few months in the fleshpots of Thailand or such like....
    Plane tickets are evidence.
    "Youíre just a bad memory who doesnít know when to go away" JR

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,598
    Thanks (Given)
    367
    Thanks (Received)
    286
    Likes (Given)
    3548
    Likes (Received)
    1181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Tell them that you've been in prison for tax evasion of IR35 and that as you have served the time you have a right under EU law (there will be one somewhere) to not be discriminated against.

    You'll have no problem at all.
    Also tell them you're genderfluid, and don't want to be pigeonholed as either "Mr" or "Mrs" or any similar demeaning conventional titles, and you'll walk it - They daren't reject you, for fear of lawsuits
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.