• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Brexit Thread from Someone who Didn't Vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    I researched the topic, had frequent discussions with parents, friends, etc about different views, pros and cons to staying or leaving etc. - I just did not feel that with the information available I could make a decision. On the one hand I genuinely felt like change could be a good thing, that if we were out of the EU we would be able to re-negotiate some better deals and policies. On the other hand, the status quo was clearly working, the economy was stable and everything was seemingly alright. We were paying some extortionate fees but, in return we were receiving a lot of aid (particularly in the agricultural sector - yes - i do read.)

Like I said, I felt both camps were being completely dishonest with what the result would actually mean and I really couldn't make up my mind. I am absolutely certain there must be a fair percentage of people in the same situation as me; who simply did not feel there was enough legitimate information out there to form an opinion.
    So you did research and still didn't feel able to make a decision? What threshold were you requiring before you felt able to?
    Were you not able to find information? Are you just indecisive?

Status Quo was not on the table, as leavers said (remainers derided) and now JcJ etc have proven through subsequent speeches.

Anyway, 72% seems like a fine turnout and many were able to make a decision in your absence, so it's moot now
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      but the question wasn’t “which side do you trust?” It was a yes or no to staying in the EU.
      Surely though, that is absolutely what the real question was; Do you trust our politicians to renegotiate our deal whilst remaining in the EU (which clearly hadn't gotten anywhere in the run up to the vote) or do you trust Farage and his battle bus claiming to pump an extra 300 million a week into the NHS.

I just found neither side produced anything credible or even remotely factual about the whole thing.

In terms of real world impact, my step brother sells nutrition products, 70% of which he imports from America. He's had to massively increase his sales pipe just to support himself, whilst making the same amount of net profit. It's great he's doing so well in terms of sales, but woeful that he's selling so much more just to maintain the same amount of profit he was churning out a year or so ago.

Comment

Surely though, that is absolutely what the real question was; Do you trust our politicians to renegotiate our deal whilst remaining in the EU (which clearly hadn't gotten anywhere in the run up to the vote) or do you trust Farage and his battle bus claiming to pump an extra 300 million a week into the NHS.

I just found neither side produced anything credible or even remotely factual about the whole thing.

In terms of real world impact, my step brother sells nutrition products, 70% of which he imports from America. He's had to massively increase his sales pipe just to support himself, whilst making the same amount of net profit. It's great he's doing so well in terms of sales, but woeful that he's selling so much more just to maintain the same amount of profit he was churning out a year or so ago.
        350 million, not 300 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          So you did research and still didn't feel able to make a decision? What threshold were you requiring before you felt able to?
          Were you not able to find information? Are you just indecisive?

Status Quo was not on the table, as leavers said (remainers derided) and now JcJ etc have proven through subsequent speeches.

Anyway, 72% seems like a fine turnout and many were able to make a decision in your absence, so it's moot now
          Honestly, I was hoping i'd wake up on the day and have a lightbulb moment - but I didn't. I read about our financial contributions, increase in migration (I actually think immigration is a good thing - we're doomed once all the European baristas get sent packing) and tried to get my head around how EU law is implemented although struggled a bit more with that.

The only real conclusion I could draw was that no-one really knew what would happen to the market, other than it would certainly cause turbulence for at least a short time, and that reorganising Customs was going to be a massive ballache.

72% is a fine turnout - my point is of the remaining 28% who didn't vote there must have been a good number who like me, were unsure, felt misinformed, etc.

Comment

Honestly, I was hoping i'd wake up on the day and have a lightbulb moment - but I didn't.
            Interesting process.

I read about our financial contributions, increase in migration (I actually think immigration is a good thing - we're doomed once all the European baristas get sent packing)
            Me too, when you have control over it. Although there's only so many coffee shops that are required

and tried to get my head around how EU law is implemented although struggled a bit more with that.
            I think a lot of people struggled with that, and if it isn't simple - why is that, is that good or bad?

The only real conclusion I could draw was that no-one really knew what would happen to the market, other than it would certainly cause turbulence for at least a short time,
            I agree, a market slip in the short-term at the least was predicted but it's too early to know long-term at the moment

and that reorganising Customs was going to be a massive ballache.
            Just because it's difficult doesn't mean something isn't worth doing!

72% is a fine turnout - my point is of the remaining 28% who didn't vote there must have been a good number who like me, were unsure, felt misinformed, etc.
            Good.
            Well there's people that don't vote in a GE - should we keep re-voting until we get nearer 100% turnout of registered voters?
            What about the millions that aren't registered?
            Should we delay elections/referendums until 100% of 18-100yr olds are registered?
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

At least when you vote for a party they have a manifesto (not that it is ever stuck to)
              except the Tory manifesto is the reason we had the blasted ref in the first place
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Home | Plenary | European Parliament

Seriously, if you're not listening to this - you should hear how many MEPs have stated something along the lines of;
                "it's not too late to undo this", "stay with us" etc

Democracy... ..they obviously don't get it

I've just heard one saying "independence referendums just cause problems"...... well yes, for the EU and Spain and the UK - but we need to reserve the right to hold them!
                (Think it was Luděk NIEDERMAYER)
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

I'll keep this concise; we need a second referendum. Monarch is the first major business casualty to come as a result of Brexit, due to an extremely weak pound.

July 19th 2015 the £ vs the Euro was 1.44
                  August 25th 2017, it's 1.077.
                  Prior to Brexit the £ was at its weakest in 2013, and even then it was at 1.13.

Why do we need another chance to vote? The turnout was 72%. I didn't vote because frankly, neither side used any FACTUAL information when presenting their argument. No-one actually knew what it meant so honestly, how on earth can you cast a vote? At least when you vote for a party they have a manifesto (not that it is ever stuck to) so you can get at least an idea of what the horizon may look like in a few years time. I am almost certain there were a large number of people who also didn't vote based on this total lack of information or frank dishonesty from both sides.

Oh - and then there was the fact people voted for David Cameron steering us out of the EU - someone who was actually relatively capable, but oh no wait - another lie - he resigned. Whatever happened to "I'll see this through no matter the result!" - the whole thing has been a sham

Brexit voters I really really hope your immigration policies (which won't happen by the way) and "sovereignty" were worth it.

God help us of Corbyn offers us a glimmer of hope to go back in to Europe - I really fear people who wouldn't usually vote for Labour may just do so to get back into the club.
                  Well you had the chance to vote like everyone else did and I presume you also have a brain to work through the logic of the arguments regardless of the factual information. As you didn't take the chance you cannot really carp on about now (IMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                    Home | Plenary | European Parliament

Seriously, if you're not listening to this - you should hear how many MEPs have stated something along the lines of;
                    "it's not too late to undo this", "stay with us" etc

Democracy... ..they obviously don't get it

I've just heard one saying "independence referendums just cause problems"...... well yes, for the EU and Spain and the UK - but we need to reserve the right to hold them!
                    (Think it was Luděk NIEDERMAYER)
                    If you get democracy, then you would have no objection to a UK referendum on the settlement to leave the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      Well you had the chance to vote like everyone else did and I presume you also have a brain to work through the logic of the arguments regardless of the factual information. As you didn't take the chance you cannot really carp on about now (IMHO).
                      Talk us through the logic of that. Why can't people who abstain complain? It's just some bollocks piece of received wisdom that people trot out without thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X