• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You'd be stupid not to have a Plan B if Brexit goes bad - so what is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    True, talent won't struggle for work - there'll be a work-permit system but only for the cream.
    Given that the UK are already considering the 'hospitality visa' I would imagine the cream may go down a lot further than you think

again it is about restricting unfettered access to people who have arrived at the bottom of the EU, gained EU citizenship and then migrated to the UK with no interest in supporting themselves or integrating into the UK.

Comment

There is always India ... perhaps they'd take on the UK ITers as their consultants for pennies and market them to their EU customers

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Given that the UK are already considering the 'hospitality visa' I would imagine the cream may go down a lot further than you think

again it is about restricting unfettered access to people who have arrived at the bottom of the EU, gained EU citizenship and then migrated to the UK with no interest in supporting themselves or integrating into the UK.
        The problem is that the law of unintended consequences works in funny ways so that you'll never get the result of what you thought it was about. Or you may get it but there'll be other consequences which may be more important that what you thought "it was about."
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
          Soon we will see UK women paying Polish or other east European men to marry them for their EU passports
          I've already trafficked GB9 and NigelUK to service Romanian coal miners.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            The problem is that the law of unintended consequences works in funny ways so that you'll never get the result of what you thought it was about. Or you may get it but there'll be other consequences which may be more important that what you thought "it was about."
            everything is subject to the law of unintended consequence I will grant you that.

but you have to try to make the changes, then learn from what you did and then iterate again -- a bit agile if you will!

Comment

To obtain another EU citizenship for would require between five and seven years residency in that country. Or have an Irish grandparent....

Comment

My mum has 120 acres of farming land in Cornwall and I hope that once out of Europe we will see cannabis legalised. Already looking at CBD and how it can be grown and cropped. Just need more capital!

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  My mum has 120 acres of farming land in Cornwall and I hope that once out of Europe we will see cannabis legalised. Already looking at CBD and how it can be grown and cropped. Just need more capital!
                  So you currently sell it illegally?

Interesting that in Denver the biggest issue the cannabis sellers had was not being able to open a federal bank account....

Comment

If everything falls apart and the economy goes to crap, it seems virtually every industry is going to be hurt... and as contractors we're generally quite versatile across different industries anyway aren't we?

Other than leaving the country or focusing hard on getting work overseas contracting still seems a decent way to be open to lots of options. And getting work overseas doesn't require you to stop contracting.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                      Actually cannabis for medicinal use is being granted in many countries now.... but exporting to EU maybe difficult

Comment

Working...
                      X