• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Success Barometer: Retirement Survey

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like there's two massive icebergs to avoid along the ocean of contracting.

1. HMR&C - They can bankrupt you instantly with their magical ability to retrospectively change all the rules, and with the guilty until proven innocent tax system.

2. Divorce - This is easily avoided compared to 1 by simply NEVER EVER getting married.

If you can dodge these two, no IT contractor should be needing to work again past 50. With BTL and other HMG backed investments there's really no excuse.

HTH BIDI (for some)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Seems like there's two massive icebergs to avoid along the ocean of contracting.

1. HMR&C - They can bankrupt you instantly with their magical ability to retrospectively change all the rules, and with the guilty until proven innocent tax system.

2. Divorce - This is easily avoided compared to 1 by simply NEVER EVER getting married.

If you can dodge these two, no IT contractor should be needing to work again past 50. With BTL and other HMG backed investments there's really no excuse.

HTH BIDI (for some)

3. Children (Unit price £200K)
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Although I took a huge hit following my divorce I reckon it saved me money in the long run.

Wife #2 is a financial whizz, as well as having her own house and teeth, so I've bounced back better than I'd ever have anticipated.

Retirement plans (I'm early 50s). I reckon I will slide into semi-retirement by 57, just picking up the odd contract when I can be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
          Although I took a huge hit following my divorce I reckon it saved me money in the long run.

Wife #2 is a financial whizz, as well as having her own house and teeth, so I've bounced back better than I'd ever have anticipated.

Retirement plans (I'm early 50s). I reckon I will slide into semi-retirement by 57, just picking up the odd contract when I can be bothered.
          Brill thought that. He also thought that for #3, #4 and #5.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
            3. Children (Unit price £200K)
            Not sure why people think children are so expensive. If you are wasting money on private schooling, then maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              No retirement for me. Why retire when the going is great?

Earn as much as I can, shag as many hookers as I can, and when the time is right buy a one way ticket to CH

You will not get a more honest answer than that.
              The Hunter S. Thompson of contracting. You could always get AndyW's mum to blow you out of a cannon.

Comment

Not sure why people think children are so expensive. If you are wasting money on private schooling, then maybe.
                The cost of raising a child to the age of 21 has jumped to £230,000, or more than the price of an average semi-detached house in Britain, according to new research.

Parents will spend more than £70,000 for childcare and babysitting alone, and spend another £74,000 on education-related expenses such as uniforms, school lunches, text books and school trips.

In total, the typical parent can expect to spend £231,843 raising a child born in 2016, an increase of 65% since 2003, when the analysts at the Centre for Economics and Business Research first calculated cost figures for parenthood.

The figure is for a child attending a state school. Parents who send their offspring to a private day school can expect to wave goodbye to more than £373,000 by the time he/she hit 21, rising to just short of £500,000 if the child goes to boarding school.
                Cost of raising children in UK higher than ever | Life and style | The Guardian
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  The Hunter S. Thompson of contracting. You could always get AndyW's mum to blow you out of a cannon.
                  How big are her tits?

Comment

The only tried and tested consistent form of social mobility in Britain is private schooling. It's more of a £400k investment on top of the £200k.

Should it be this way? No. Is it? Yes.

Comment

I reckon I could give it a good go now, but would be bored, so am thinking somewhere between 55 and 60.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X