• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling to get to an interview...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
    That's bulltulip, phone/skype only interviews are now very common.
    There are absolutely no need for physical apperence in order to hire you, expecially in the world of contracting.
    And how many of those have you had?

Comment

I have only had one phone interview, and this was for a Client I actually did a FTC (I know!) for many, many years ago.....and although they more or less took MyCo on from the interview, they were still keen for me to drop in one day to show that I hadn't developed any annoying personal hygiene issues or whatever
      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Signup for a call forwarding service and get yourself a London phone number. Put it on your CV, spray to Jobserve and report back on how many calls you receive.

Comment

It's hard enough to convince agents that you can fulfill a London based role if you live north of Watford (unless you have track record of doing so) never mind abroad!, in fact you may have more luck with a permie role as they may be more amenable to relocation.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
            It's hard enough to convince agents that you can fulfill a London based role if you live north of Watford (unless you have track record of doing so) never mind abroad!, in fact you may have more luck with a permie role as they may be more amenable to relocation.
            Why? Who on earth actually tells an agent where they live.....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's bulltulip, phone/skype only interviews are now very common.
              You assume that the client that the agent is representing is interested in a phone interview. If they aren't, then regardless of how common you may find them, then they are likely to bin your CV if they think you won't make it to a face-to-face-interview.

There are absolutely no need for physical apperence in order to hire you, expecially in the world of contracting.
              Are you expecting to work from home for the contract? If so (and if you give that impression), then that might also explain the lack of interest in your CV. Most clients expect to see you on-site, so if they think that you may not manage that, then they won't waste their time interviewing you.

Btw, nowhere i mentioned in my CV, that i'm not living in the UK.
              What contact information do you put on the CV? What client information do you put on the CV? Do you have an Anglicised name?

If there is any indication that you aren't based in the UK, and they choose to use that fact to filter your CV out, then that's one reason why you aren't having much luck with UK-based agencies.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Why? Who on earth actually tells an agent where they live.....
                I do because I'm only interested in contracts near me.

Comment

Who on earth actually tells an agent where they live.....
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I do because I'm only interested in contracts near me.
                    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    OK who (who wants to work in London) puts their out of London location on their CV...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

OK who (who wants to work in London) puts their out of London location on their CV...
                      People who live just outside London.
                      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                      X