• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling to get to an interview...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    OK who (who wants to work in London) puts their out of London location on their CV...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      OK who (who wants to work in London) puts their out of London location on their CV...
      Me!

I can get to London in less than an hour so it is not a big deal.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
        Signup for a call forwarding service and get yourself a London phone number. Put it on your CV, spray to Jobserve and report back on how many calls you receive.
        That's actually a pretty good idea.
        I'll try it for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
          That's bulltulip, phone/skype only interviews are now very common.
          There are absolutely no need for physical apperence in order to hire you, expecially in the world of contracting.

Btw, nowhere i mentioned in my CV, that i'm not living in the UK.
          Are you applying directly to the client or are you going through agencies?

If in your CV you don't have experiences in the UK maybe this could be a reason agents don't even bother calling you...because you have no UK references they can squeeze off of you.

I'd go with who suggested the London telephone number thing.
          Or also lower your rates a bit as a compensation it would be your first gig in the UK maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
            Are you applying directly to the client or are you going through agencies?

If in your CV you don't have experiences in the UK maybe this could be a reason agents don't even bother calling you...because you have no UK references they can squeeze off of you.

I'd go with who suggested the London telephone number thing.
            Or also lower your rates a bit as a compensation it would be your first gig in the UK maybe?
            Yeah I don't have UK reference yet, although it is not my first time working abroad...
            Sure, I don't have high salary expectations for my first UK contract.

Comment

Yeah I don't have UK reference yet, although it is not my first time working abroad...
              Groan.....

Comment

Maybe it's the little things like that which indicates that you aren't 100% clear on how contracting in the UK works, and agents don't want to have to explain it to you.

Have you got a UK-based company registered, or will you be going umbrella?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                  Exactly. Spend some money and move to London for one month just to see how it goes and if you get more lucky with interviews..
                  Please don't follow this asinine advice, I beseech you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Maybe it's the little things like that which indicates that you aren't 100% clear on how contracting in the UK works, and agents don't want to have to explain it to you.

Have you got a UK-based company registered, or will you be going umbrella?
                    Yeah I mean daily rate not salary...
                    Contract first, paperwork after man

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      You can do the same with Skype by forwarding an on-line number.
                      Cool, just bought an UK number on Skype.
                      Let's hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X