• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent suddenly changed the rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent suddenly changed the rate

Hi Guys,

I am new to contracting. I have done contracts directly (without agents involved) in the past but after 6 years I am going back to contracting. Last week I spoke to an agent who asked me to go for an interview yesterday. At the time of initial discussion, the rate I was been told was £300p/day. My interview went well yesterday and today the agent came back to me saying that I was offered the role however, the company now decided to reduce the rate to £250p/day as they have now decided to take 3 contractors instead of 2. Does it sound genuine? I refused and the agent said he will come back to me tomorrow.

Thanks

Fairly common - if you do a quick search, you'll find similar experiences. The agent wants to pocket the extra £50 a day. Of course, the client hasn't decided to pay only £250 - because that's the rate the agency is wanting to pay, not the rate the client pays.

If you can't come to an agreement, write a letter to the client thanking them for the time, but explaining that while you thought the work was interesting and wanted to do it, you found that the rate of £250 offered by the agency was too low to make it economically worthwhile.

This kind of shenanigans has never happened to me, but I'd be tempted to say "Oh, really? What a coincidence, I've just had a couple of offers from other clients at £350 a day. I'd be happy to work for your client at £300 since that's what we agreed on, and I'm a man of integrity, but I couldn't loose out on £100 a day."
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

OP - Assume agent knows your new to contracting? Sounds spot on what NAT is saying. Bunch of greedy twats they are.

I'd be tempted to do what NAT says.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If you can't come to an agreement, write a letter to the client thanking them for the time, but explaining that while you thought the work was interesting and wanted to do it, you found that the rate of £250 offered by the agency was too low to make it economically worthwhile.
        +1 to what NAT said.

See if you can find the interviewer on LinkedIn and drop them an email along the lines NAT suggested.

Good Luck
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Yup, agree with the others. If the agency comes back and offers a slightly higher rate, but still not what was originally agreed, I'd be inclined to contact the interviewer via LinkedIn and explain why you can't take the role. Chances are, the agency is trying to pull a fast one.

Comment

Standard agency tricks.

Comment

Yep, as the others have said, agency tricks.

The quickest way to confirm this is to say "I'll send Mr John Interviewer a quick email to confirm if this is the case, then I'll make my decision on whether I want to proceed."

You probably won't need to go through with that, but if you do, the email address should be easy enough to guess, [email protected]er - there are a few variations it could be of course, plus they might not be the only person of that name, but the thought of you mentioning this to the client should be enough to sort the agent out.

Comment

Agree with everything thats been said here, the pimp is trying it on, I would be inclined to refuse the role and tell the client why, economy is improving and there is plenty of work around right now so why bend over and take it

Comment

Basically it's up to you to decide your rate. However you need to know what the market is like.

Never depend on one agent always have different leads going, this means you have a feel for how buoyant the market is.

If you've been on the bench for two months, no agents ringing except this one and you really need the money then you have to accept you're in a weak position, sure no harm in negotiating but you can't push too hard. Perhaps negotiate a 3 month contract so you can get out quick if the market picks up.

If you have 6 interviews lined up tell the agent to bog off.

...and remember know your rate, something you need to think about before you negotiate and as the contract negotiations progress.

Barcap are sacking loads of staff so it isn't a good omen for the market.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Basically it's up to you to decide your rate. However you need to know what the market is like.

Never depend on one agent always have different leads going, this means you have a feel for how buoyant the market is.

If you've been on the bench for two months, no agents ringing except this one and you really need the money then you have to accept you're in a weak position, sure no harm in negotiating but you can't push too hard. Perhaps negotiate a 3 month contract so you can get out quick if the market picks up.

If you have 6 interviews lined up tell the agent to bog off.

...and remember know your rate, something you need to think about before you negotiate and as the contract negotiations progress.

Barcap are sacking loads of staff so it isn't a good omen for the market.
                    They do this every year before the next round of hiring permie and bringing contractors in to do the actual work.

Comment

Working...
                    X