• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with no contract, just a purchase order..is this wise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with no contract, just a purchase order..is this wise?

Hi I'm Roger and an IT contractor, I specialize in Python.

Recently I left a contract after the second day, because they did not provide me with a contract. It was one of those "you are hired get started" situations. I told them I would like a written contract agreeing day rate and hours, but they said they would give me a purchase order instead. Anyway the next day I returned for the second day of work, and asked about the purchase order, they shrugged and said yeah we did it, although I never saw anything.

I was not happy carrying on without having something in my hand, on paper. So I told them I would be terminating the contract there and then, handed them the work done so far, and walked out. I felt I was acting a little on the paranoid side from their reactions, but then how can one possibly start a contract like this? was it an overreaction? or did I do the wise thing

The contract was supposed to be three weeks, I guess they were planning on giving me a purchase order each week. To be honest I think they would have paid, but this time it was a matter of principle, maybe an expensive choice

Contracts in England and Wales can be verbal.

However due to the number of dishonest people around it's at least good to have an email trail showing terms agreed.

For example how many hours do they expect a day to be? It could be 7 or it could be 10.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Contracts in England and Wales can be verbal.

However due to the number of dishonest people around it's at least good to have an email trail showing terms agreed.

For example how many hours do they expect a day to be? It could be 7 or it could be 10.
      Exactly..they seemed a little evasive..the manager also said I could sleep there if I wanted, although i think he was joking.can't be sure...lol

the company had like 3 names..it was an umbrella company Y under parent company X, but then the cheque they gave me today had name Z..what do u make of that?

There was one of those accounting guys/wannabe designers who was arguing constantly with the other designers on how the product should look.that was another red flag

i just read another article about a designer because he only had a purchase order and no contract, client offered 50% of original and that was it, he seemed to have no legal standpoint

anyway i feel a little foolish as it was a long period and a good rate, but then all the more to loose if things go pear shaped.the economy is so volatile right now i really can't fool around working with no contract..

Comment

Dodged a bullet there imo!

If they are so cavalier regarding 'contracts,' I suspect they'd have no hesitation is getting rid ad not paying for work done.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by roger55 View Post
          Hi I'm Roger and an IT contractor, I specialize in Python.

Recently I left a contract after the second day, because they did not provide me with a contract. It was one of those "you are hired get started" situations. I told them I would like a written contract agreeing day rate and hours, but they said they would give me a purchase order instead. Anyway the next day I returned for the second day of work, and asked about the purchase order, they shrugged and said yeah we did it, although I never saw anything.

I was not happy carrying on without having something in my hand, on paper. So I told them I would be terminating the contract there and then, handed them the work done so far, and walked out. I felt I was acting a little on the paranoid side from their reactions, but then how can one possibly start a contract like this? was it an overreaction? or did I do the wise thing

The contract was supposed to be three weeks, I guess they were planning on giving me a purchase order each week. To be honest I think they would have paid, but this time it was a matter of principle, maybe an expensive choice
          I think you've done exactly the right thing. They could have strung you along for three weeks and then never paid you. I think this could have been more expensive in the long run.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I know of a group of contractors who loosely work together under a single company name who just work on a PO basis. For anything from engagments of a few days to a couple of years, they've never had any issues, but deal mostly with big corporates

Comment

The OP could have sent his terms and conditions and asked them to agree.
              That could have started negotiations.

There is no problem working on PO as JoJoGabor said, which anyway comes with basic terms - especially if it is for such a short term.

Comment

Originally posted by contractoralan View Post
                The OP could have sent his terms and conditions and asked them to agree.
                That could have started negotiations.
                Agree with that. I would have gotten a copy of the PCG's contract which covers the bases pretty well, mashed it up to suit my needs, signed it and presented it to the client to consider. If you start work then the contract has been accepted, even if they haven't signed it.

It's pretty unprofessional to work without some sort of terms of business, it can all end up in tears. If the client won't do business that way then you are probably better off working elsewhere...
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

A contract can be verbal, and you have proof, i.e. a purchase order, and there's no way they would lie about you not working there, because that is fraud. In the past I've often worked without a contract. It rolls in eventually.

My advice would be not to do that again, you've lost earnings and your reputation with the client.

I would only withhold services if they didn't pay.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

But they never actually gave the OP a PO, they just said they would.

I still think that he did the right thing, he didn't know for sure if they would pay him or not when he left.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X