• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UML Course Recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UML Course Recommendation

I'm thinking of doing a course on UML after my current gig ends. Has anyone done one recently and can recommend which company to go with/avoid?

I've got hold of some UML software and aquired some books (the old Sams teach yourself in 24 hours malarkey) but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough.

Cheers

Sorry that I can't recommend a course, but the best thing I've found for UML is practice. Alongside one of the "teach yourself" books (The O'Reilly one on UML 2.0 being a good one IMHO) apply the tools you are learning to situations and projects outisde the book itself. May seem like suck eggs advice, but it has worked for me in the past.

NN
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

I've not actually "done" any UML since Uni but loads of people I'ev worked with claim to "know" UML. Just draw lots of stick-man pictures and arrows pointing all over the place, that's usually enough to convince people.
      Nobody will actually tel you it's rubbish since they don't want you to call their bluff either.
      HTH

Comment

All you need is...

...put the theory into practice, so I agree with the previous posts. Unlike Prince2/etc, UML cert is far from std requirement, so don't waste your money on getting certification. Get a short book with lots of diagrams to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          ...put the theory into practice, so I agree with the previous posts. Unlike Prince2/etc, UML cert is far from std requirement, so don't waste your money on getting certification. Get a short book with lots of diagrams to help you.

Get yourself two things!

1) UML Distilled , Martin Fowler

2) Download and install yourself the JUDE Community edition, really good software to use and understand.

Really there is a third item

3) Start designing a homework problem with the Class Diagram then think about Sequence diagrams

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll save my money and try out the books and good old fashioned practise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
              I've not actually "done" any UML since Uni but loads of people I'ev worked with claim to "know" UML. Just draw lots of stick-man pictures and arrows pointing all over the place, that's usually enough to convince people.
              Nobody will actually tel you it's rubbish since they don't want you to call their bluff either.
              HTH
              Of course you are only referring to one type of UML diagram here, but I like the cut of your jib.
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

Forget UML, it's a waste of time. Read up on Agile instead
                Cats are evil.

Comment

I second the recommendation of "UML Distilled", Martin Fowler, ISBN 0-321-19368-7.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    Forget UML, it's a waste of time. Read up on Agile instead
                    Read up on both.

Draw UML diagrams consisting of boxes and interconnecting lines if using a white board. If writing documentation open UML Distilled and find a diagram to appropriate.

Don't bother buying more than one book there are websites if you google that explain each diagram in different ways i.e. http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X