Contract Renewal/Extension
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    27
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    The man in charge only told HR to extend my contract and was just as surprised as I was when he heard about the end date; he also assured me there will be lots more work coming my way to take me long into 2018.

  2. #12

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    27
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Did the client share your expectations of how long the extension was likely to be? Or were you just expecting it to be six months rather than three?
    The extension offered was for exactly 12 weeks (including 1 week Christmas close-down).
    There was no hint that it would be any different to my previous extension and just found out it's because the big man only told them to renew (not for how long).

  3. #13

    Should post faster

    l35kee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default

    Don't worry about it. We used to only ever give 3 month extensions, knowing full well we needed people for long after that.

  4. #14

    Contractor Among Contractors

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,712
    Thanks (Given)
    151
    Thanks (Received)
    118
    Likes (Given)
    770
    Likes (Received)
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l35kee View Post
    Don't worry about it. We used to only ever give 3 month extensions, knowing full well we needed people for long after that.
    Ditto this. My previous client would do two months at a time, because longer would be seen as bad planning....
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  5. #15
    Bee
    Bee is offline

    Banned


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692
    Thanks (Given)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    185
    Likes (Given)
    530
    Likes (Received)
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    It sounds like you have a good relationship with your client. Ask them. It's a simple conversation to have.

    Something along the lines of "the agency sent through the contract paperwork but it's only to the end of the year, not the six months we discussed. Is that an error or has something changed?"

    If you enjoy the work, it would be silly to refuse the extension without discussing it first. It's entirely possible that the company's financial year end is 31 December and it's easier from an accounting and admin perspective to have a clean split.
    Yes, I thought the same. If there is a lot of work I would check a possibility of another contract extension in December.

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,780
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1466
    Likes (Given)
    1780
    Likes (Received)
    6030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    Yes, I thought the same. If there is a lot of work I would check a possibility of another contract extension in December.
    I very much doubt they'd be committing to extentions just after the next one has been offered. Even if they said yes there is a good chance they could change their mind in that length of time.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17
    Bee
    Bee is offline

    Banned


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692
    Thanks (Given)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    185
    Likes (Given)
    530
    Likes (Received)
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I very much doubt they'd be committing to extentions just after the next one has been offered. Even if they said yes there is a good chance they could change their mind in that length of time.
    I didn't mention anything about commitment. You are always changing the meaning of simplest things with the same basic answers.

    Personally, I've never abandoned or would abandon a good client with a good workload in the future.

  8. #18

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,780
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1466
    Likes (Given)
    1780
    Likes (Received)
    6030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    I didn't mention anything about commitment. You are always changing the meaning of simplest things with the same basic answers.

    Personally, I've never abandoned or would abandon a good client with a good workload in the future.
    So what is the point of asking them if there is no confidence in their answer? You are asking them for an answer on which you are trying to make a decision.

    Nothing you put is simple. Just making sense of it is a challenge.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #19

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    27
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    It's worth asking whether they think there may be work for you at the end of the renewal. You get a feel for what's coming.

    I see a strong possibility of another renewal just as good as a contract (at least with this client).

    We all know things can change from one day to another and your typical signed contract has no real value in terms of end date (i.e. you don't get paid without a signed timesheet).

  10. #20

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,780
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1466
    Likes (Given)
    1780
    Likes (Received)
    6030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zonkkk View Post
    It's worth asking whether they think there may be work for you at the end of the renewal. You get a feel for what's coming.

    I see a strong possibility of another renewal just as good as a contract (at least with this client).

    We all know things can change from one day to another and your typical signed contract has no real value in terms of end date (i.e. you don't get paid without a signed timesheet).
    But your third paragraph totally contradicts your first two. And for the record I disagree with the second one as a general comment. It's highly specific to your current client so I don't think it's much use as general advice.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.