• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note also that if City A is say Manchester and City B is Salford (God forbid) then they more or less count as the same location...

Comment

In the link supplied by NLUK it says he important thing is changing the journey, and they bunged the city and dockland together, my journey to the city is totally different than my journey to the Dockland, to the city I use the tube, while to docklands its easier to drive and use parking there, so the journey to the dockland is easier, but more expensive due to the mileage and parking fees.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        In the link supplied by NLUK it says he important thing is changing the journey, and they bunged the city and dockland together, my journey to the city is totally different than my journey to the Dockland, to the city I use the tube, while to docklands its easier to drive and use parking there, so the journey to the dockland is easier, but more expensive due to the mileage and parking fees.
        How much more expensive? Significantly?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Journey cost for the Tube monthly around £170... Docklands monthly £550

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
            I've looked through half that thread for my question and have given up, so here it is!

Re: 40% Rule / 14.4 months

What happens here:
            I'm in City A for 24 months
            I'm in City B for 15 months
            I'm offered a gig in City A again

Does the "24 months count" completely reset once I've been away from City A for 14.4 months? (I guess not)
            or
            Will I be caught by the 24 month rule just a few weeks into the new gig as I'll soon have been there over 40% of the last 24 months?
            The post that gave rise the original sticky defines precisely the answer to your question. I suggest you read it again.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It is a much about how you get to work as well as the distance.

If you can argue there is a 'significant' change, which I think you can, then you are okay. The cost difference itself is 'significant'.

Things to consider also are the time it takes and the method of travel, as well as the distant between the sites.

I have only ever known of one case out of many contactors in which HMRC looked into this. The guy had submitted HMRC a P87 as an umbrella couldn’t process the expenses before he was an 'employee' of theirs. HMRC then asked for the details of his previous claims and it was like a can of worms. He had been travelling to a number of sites within the same 'area' at the same end client for about 4 - 5 years. I don’t know how it ended, but I know it didn’t look good for him at the time and it was large amount, he had be claiming 60 miles a day at 45p, subsistence at £25 per day and parking for years. He had been using different umbrella’s because he was never happy with the one he was with and each one told him as it was a new ‘employment’ that it didn’t matter if he had been at the site/same client/ same general area before.

This is failings as much to do with the umbrella’s as to him. I think it highlights that you must always know the basics of your situation whichever way you work. The idea that you pay someone to look after it all for you is a fairy tale idea, are these people going to be around in 5-6 years’ time when the tax man comes knocking, I doubt so.

Comment

Originally posted by Skye2011 View Post
                It is a much about how you get to work as well as the distance.

If you can argue there is a 'significant' change, which I think you can, then you are okay. The cost difference itself is 'significant'.

Things to consider also are the time it takes and the method of travel, as well as the distant between the sites.

I have only ever known of one case out of many contactors in which HMRC looked into this. The guy had submitted HMRC a P87 as an umbrella couldn’t process the expenses before he was an 'employee' of theirs. HMRC then asked for the details of his previous claims and it was like a can of worms. He had been travelling to a number of sites within the same 'area' at the same end client for about 4 - 5 years. I don’t know how it ended, but I know it didn’t look good for him at the time and it was large amount, he had be claiming 60 miles a day at 45p, subsistence at £25 per day and parking for years. He had been using different umbrella’s because he was never happy with the one he was with and each one told him as it was a new ‘employment’ that it didn’t matter if he had been at the site/same client/ same general area before.

This is failings as much to do with the umbrella’s as to him. I think it highlights that you must always know the basics of your situation whichever way you work. The idea that you pay someone to look after it all for you is a fairy tale idea, are these people going to be around in 5-6 years’ time when the tax man comes knocking, I doubt so.
                WOW.

Evidence that once they (HMRC) get their teeth in, you can't be surprised what they will do next!

Thanks for sharing
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  YES...

Costs me roughly £40 a day to park there at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    YES...

Costs me roughly £40 a day to park there at the moment.
                    Canary Wharf, Bob?
                    Overnight?
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Canary Wharf, Bob?
                      Overnight?
                      Im working on a fairly large job there at the moment but I only need to be around a day or so a week. So it just depends on meetings

Comment

Working...
                      X