• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract - No Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract - No Contract

Current contract was due to run until end of August.

Advised by manager that things are very thin on the ground so on the 'QT' i'd be wise to look for something else.

Found something else for a household name. Good money and not a bad commute (albeit London). New job wanted me to start in a week. Current company said no as I am contracted for 4 weeks notice but 'as there is a Bank Holiday you can go in 1 week 4 days.

New company pushed back initially .....but then agreed a start date of 2 weeks. Finally old contract then says....about that 2 weeks. Lets make it 3 as the guy we want you to hand over to is on holiday.

Spoke to new agent. Cue lots of grief and calls but in the end new client said ok. "3 weeks but that's the max"

Contracts all received, signed etc and was just awaiting start time and location for day one. I was due to start later this week.

Gets a call from new agent this morning..............."About that project. It's now on hold and is unlikely to go ahead so sorry but there is now no requirement"

Basically I've put myself out of work. Spoke to current client and they said "sorry but we have found a permanent person that you are to handover to starting today (He's been away on holiday)"

Very bad luck.

I suggest you dust the CV down and get looking
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Such is the way of contracting. Trying to dovetail gigs with 4 weeks notice is always going to be a challenge. We've said this to the perm guys for a long time and it seems (although rather oddly) it is the same advice for contractors. You nearly got there but sadly didn't. Such is life. On to the next one.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There are strong disagreements on CUK - however personally I always feel you should throw a sickie and start the new gig asap. It is not really moral - however you have to look after number one.

Comment

Ah that's a pi$$er, chalk it up to experience and move on.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

There are strong disagreements on CUK - however personally I always feel you should throw a sickie and start the new gig asap. It is not really moral - however you have to look after number one.
            They can and do pull projects early so that wouldn't make a difference.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Like BPs comment lol.

Things like this happen. I had similar....
              Offered local gig on phone - they told me they'd wait 3 or 4 weeks. For personal reasons I wanted to take this. Local people at current gig were fine, but manager at head office was a right awkward git. Lots of hassle but we got it to three weeks.

So I tell the agency, they phone the client who tells them "Ah we decided we didnt want to wait and offered gig to someone else". Agencies fault as well because they obviously didnt keep on top of it, allied with young guy at client who thought he was bertie big bollox and could hire and fire who he wanted. I was not impressed at all.

Of course, stayed at current client after all. But card was marked with that manager after that. I left anyway because it was PS but I doubt I had much more of a future.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Like BPs comment lol.

Things like this happen. I had similar....
                Offered local gig on phone - they told me they'd wait 3 or 4 weeks. For personal reasons I wanted to take this. Local people at current gig were fine, but manager at head office was a right awkward git. Lots of hassle but we got it to three weeks.

So I tell the agency, they phone the client who tells them "Ah we decided we didnt want to wait and offered gig to someone else". Agencies fault as well because they obviously didnt keep on top of it, allied with young guy at client who thought he was bertie big bollox and could hire and fire who he wanted. I was not impressed at all.

Of course, stayed at current client after all. But card was marked with that manager after that. I left anyway because it was PS but I doubt I had much more of a future.

You could have just provided a link.

I thought your write up was far better on the other post.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

'Revenge' of the contractor....

Just had a little chat with an agent who told me a contractor had failed to turn up to a very well known client not once, but twice.

We complain bitterly about clients messing us about and cancelling gigs but you seriously have to wonder about the sanity of a contractor who would mess a client about like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                    'Revenge' of the contractor....

Just had a little chat with an agent who told me a contractor had failed to turn up to a very well known client not once, but twice.

We complain bitterly about clients messing us about and cancelling gigs but you seriously have to wonder about the sanity of a contractor who would mess a client about like that.
                    Either the contractor is massively in demand and thus genuinely operating on a commercial supply and demand basis now, or the agent is full of tulip / creaming far too much off the top, or a bit of both...?

Comment

Working...
                    X