• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Infrastructure Guys - What`s actually hot right now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Containers are in Windows server 2016. So there's your starter for 10.
    Not seen many contracts for Windows container experts, though They`ve got a place for sure, but can`t see core infrastructure looking much different in 3 years or so.

Azure and aws are the game changers though so why not them?
    Fair points, definitely Though I hate the cloud

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Containers are in Windows server 2016. So there's your starter for 10.
      Azure and aws are the game changers though so why not them?
      I'm back in the IBM POWER world, cutting edge firmware-based virtualisation, sometimes it falls out of favour in today's Linux world but it always bounces back.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I'm back in the IBM POWER world, cutting edge firmware-based virtualisation, sometimes it falls out of favour in today's Linux world but it always bounces back.
        they didn't quite invent virtualisation but they had an early start and are still going.

I installed the first p-series LPAR system in Europe outside an IBM premise.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Not seen many contracts for Windows container experts, though They`ve got a place for sure, but can`t see core infrastructure looking much different in 3 years or so.

Fair points, definitely Though I hate the cloud
          Better get used to it, AWS, Azure, GCP, Docker, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform.... Docker is now available for Mac OS X, Windows, so expect it to become even more prominent. Devs hate being told by Ops how to do things properly, which is why they love Docker. They just package their tulip in Docker/Docker Swarm and expect Ops to sort it out. If I was allowed to shoot one bullet for every "but I gave you a container" I'd be tried in the Hague for mass murder.

Core infrastructure is and will be going strong, but if you don't venture out of it, you will find it difficult to earn more money, e.g. by reselling your "core" knowledge in the cloud world, which is where good money is atm. Even in this tulipty market there is a healthy demand for DevOps with Dev experience, as the clients put it when they want developers (usually Python) who know how to set up networking, administer servers, and automate deployments/monitoring on AWS/GCP/Azure. Unicorns, but they do get hired in this dead market.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Kubernetes

Comment

I've seen a lot of shift towards adopting some form of Automation. Scripting skills with PowerShell, Ruby or a Chef/Puppet tool, also AWS & Azure, and more increasingly Google Cloud as well.

Comment

Originally posted by spongeym View Post
                I've seen a lot of shift towards adopting some form of Automation. Scripting skills with PowerShell, Ruby or a Chef/Puppet tool, also AWS & Azure, and more increasingly Google Cloud as well.
                Yes, and this is definitely something I need to lean on more. I`m an infrastructure guy through and through, but I`m handier than most when it comes to .NET, PowerShell etc. Not done much with Ruby or Python but I imagine I could learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  UCS with Enterprise clients = too expensive
                  VMWare seems to be charging on
                  Cloud Backup / Look into the AWS Storage Gateway(s) and StorSimple at Amazon + S3 and Blob
                  MDT - Dear lord, I've done some work with it, bloody awful.
                  Hybrid Cloud - Have a look at Terraform, I think this will be the future
                  Backup, - Rubrik for all Windows environments, Veritas is back as well, so maybe more development with NetBackup on the horizon - Any sort of integrated On-Premise/Cloud data protection solution

Just my 2 cents
                  Fair analysis - not quite in line with my experience, but it`s always good to get some different viewpoints.

Comment

Yep, everything is going software defined, and if you've got an infrastructure background and can pick up the Python/Ruby & Ansible/Chef skills, then you're laughing. I can't believe what its possible to earn now.

I still maintain that it's better to be a jack of all trades though, I've met a lot of arrogant OpenStack DevOps guys who go all quiet when having to discuss things like LUN masking or remote server management.

Comment

There is also strong demand for Ansible.
                      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Working...
                      X