• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maximum allowed working days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum allowed working days

Hi,

First post, but something I am interesting in getting some perspective on....

I have recently been made an offer by one of the large international banks in Canary Wharf.
    The contract paperwork (which of course took weeks to be issued) has a bit of a surprise for me in that it stipulates a maximum number of 220 days I am allowed to work in a 12 month period.

I know all the banks are doing no-notice furlough's, but I thought the worst case would be 2 weeks forced off over Christmas.
    After the public holidays off that is 32 days forced time off a year.
    Some has to be taken in a block (as expected) but the remainder (22 days) has to be taken in an "adhoc" fashion as agreed with the client contact. No definition of what adhoc means in this context.

My question is, has anyone heard of such severe "time off" clauses in any of the other big banks? Do you think these things are ever negotiable, or am I wasting my time trying.

Many thanks

No uncommon and been going on for years.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=99704

Plenty of other examples in other threads. Public and private sector.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't forget to factor in for a 5-10% rate cut in that period as well

Every contract/extension I've had for the last 4 years has only been 3 months. I'd be quite happy to be told I'll be working 220 days lol..

That said, thinking back, I don't think I've worked that many days in a very long time anyway even when I've been in contracts back to back for a year.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2017, 20:16.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

220 days is my annual target - one of the beauties of contracting is that it allows me the flexibility to improve my work/life balance.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          220 days is my annual target - one of the beauties of contracting is that it allows me the flexibility to improve my work/life balance.
          This Exactly

I made comment to one of the tame permies at my last client that I had no idea how many days I had off in the year, as I just booked them when I felt like it (he was trying to use his last 4 days up before he lost them) he liked the idea, but liked the idea of getting paid for his time off more. Made for an interesting discussion.

Comment

You are moaning about having to take 8 weeks off in a year?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

180 to 200 days is my target.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
                This Exactly

I made comment to one of the tame permies at my last client that I had no idea how many days I had off in the year, as I just booked them when I felt like it (he was trying to use his last 4 days up before he lost them) he liked the idea, but liked the idea of getting paid for his time off more. Made for an interesting discussion.
                This is what felt slightly wrong about the way it was worded in the contract. Sounds a lot like annual leave (except without being paid). Lots of direction in the wording about how it must be scheduled, how many consecutive days in a row, without any reference to work or deliverables.
                If they know upfront that there is only 10 months worth of work in 12 then issue a shorter contract. Or if they know for operational reasons that work is not practical during December then block that period off. Just that this wording sounded very similar to what I have seen in permie contracts regarding how to take their leave.

Thanks for the responses though, my initial thoughts when I saw it was about where I would go on holiday! So definitely no complaining from me about working a more reasonable number of days.

Comment

Sounds just like HSBC...
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Sounds just like HSBC...
                    Yep, didn't someone else post on here about them having an enforced 8 weeks off?

52 - 8 = 44. 44 * 5 = 220
                    Well, would ya just look at that. What a coincidence.

What would be nice with this is to be able to have extra time off when you want rather in the middle of bloody winter!
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X