• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert- is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    OCE is unlikely to have any significant impact on your ability to sell yourself - and if you do not opt out of the agency regulations then you will be asked to produce the certificate / results page for any qualification that you claim to have.
    Nope they only ever wanted to see my highest degree certificate which is good as I've misplaced some of my other degree certificates...

Oh and what was funny is every time I've had a fight with the agency to not opt-out after they demanded all this stuff for compliance reasons. I've even be DBS checked for a role and the agency thought the opt-out was valid.....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
      Hi,

I'm trying to figure out whether this certification would be helpful to have on my CV, as I work with sequel on a daily basis. Has anyone taken it and is it useful to have?
      It depends . I've taken it and I found it very useful . Maybe not very useful in the UK market , but If you plan to work in the US / Canada/International markets sometime in the future I would say go for it . It basically sets your CV apart from all the other 'Scooby-doo' CVs out there - especially seeing that you can use the OCE logo on your CV and business cards . I was recruiting for a US/Canadian client a while back and I can remember the client specifically asking us to shortlist Oracle Certified candidates . The networking possibilities with other OCE around the world can be useful too . Through OCE , I got a gig with a South Korean company who were looking for an Oracle Certified British educated consultant - don't ask me why - but it was a very good gig .

Also , recently , I'm seeing more and more RFPs specifically asking for Oracle Certified Consultants . Basically end clients are now asking Project bidders /owners " How many certified consultants do you have on your team?". So, I would say go for it . It all boils down to how and where you use your OCE . Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Nope they only ever wanted to see my highest degree certificate which is good as I've misplaced some of my other degree certificates...
        They aren't doing their job properly then. Every agency where I have not opted out has demanded copies of the certificates for every qualification / certification that I have claimed to have.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
          Ok, didn't clarify it probably. I'm an analyst, not a developer. I see few in my circle have good grasp of SQL. What SQL certificate would be good to have for a BA?
          Why do you think that a SQL certification is relevant to a business analyst? I'd be surprised if a non-technical person would get OCE easily - I took the OCA before doing my OCP and thought "pah, I do this day in day out for a living, I don't even need to think" which wasn't the most sensible approach to take. OCE is significantly harder than OCP, which is harder than OCA, so if you are going to take the test make sure you know your stuff before you sit the test.
          First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Why do you think that a SQL certification is relevant to a business analyst? I'd be surprised if a non-technical person would get OCE easily - I took the OCA before doing my OCP and thought "pah, I do this day in day out for a living, I don't even need to think" which wasn't the most sensible approach to take. OCE is significantly harder than OCP, which is harder than OCA, so if you are going to take the test make sure you know your stuff before you sit the test.
            So, you have never worked with a Technical Business Analyst?

Some of them are very good with SQL.

That having been said the OCE may be overkill in any case.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              So, you have never worked with a Technical Business Analyst?

Some of them are very good with SQL.

That having been said the OCE may be overkill in any case.
              But the usual caveat that if you won't get work because you have a cert. You need demountable skills. It might be an added bonus if it's part of what you do now but if you are looking to branch out in to a new area its not enough.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They aren't doing their job properly then. Every agency where I have not opted out has demanded copies of the certificates for every qualification / certification that I have claimed to have.
                That's a matter of opinion as oddly enough when I was an employee employers only wanted me to prove my highest degree qualification they weren't interested in anything lower. Plus the they can easily contact the universities - I know my employers did this with some of the other staff.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Not much at all - your experience and achievements count far more as a contractor. Certificates are for permies.
                  Disagree. It's a potential edge and backs up your practical experience. When you're neck and neck with somebody a decent set of appropriate certs proves that you're serious about your trade.

I went to the effort of going through the exam track for my niche and I've had a number of non prompted positive comments about it. Recruiters love it, too.

Comment

Working...
                  X