• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manual Handling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Handling

I've been asked by my employer to complete a manual handling assessment form. According to the Deregulation Act, I don't need to complete this as I'm self-employed. My client has asked for legal advice and has been told that as I work on site most of the time it would be easier for me to complete their manual handling assessment form than for them to inspect my process/assessment (which doesn't exist). Do I have to complete it?

The reason I'm being reluctant is that when I was sent the form I just filled it in electronically and emailed it back. They said they refused to accept it because they wanted me to print it off, sign it then scan it back in and email it to them. I didn't do it because basically I've done what they've asked, I've acknowledged the request, said I don't need the manual handling training because I never lift anything and responded in a timely manner. Why do they need a signed copy of the form to say I don't need it? Isn't that a bit like a double glazing salesperson asking you to sign a form to say you don't need double glazing?

I do want to be awkward because legally I don't think I need to complete the form in the first place and secondly I can't be bothered printing, signing and scanning the form. I know I'm being pedantic but I'd like some advice on what to do and please don't say just print, sign, scan and email the darn form!

Well as you are self employed, and your employer has asked for it, just have a word with yourself.

I CBA to pick apart the rest of the the post
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Unsure if you are really self employed or a limited company contractor.
      if it is the latter and it comes under the health and safety banner, why don't you just give them exactly what they want?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
        I've been asked by my employer to complete a manual handling assessment form. According to the Deregulation Act, I don't need to complete this as I'm self-employed. My client has asked for legal advice and has been told that as I work on site most of the time it would be easier for me to complete their manual handling assessment form than for them to inspect my process/assessment (which doesn't exist). Do I have to complete it?

The reason I'm being reluctant is that when I was sent the form I just filled it in electronically and emailed it back. They said they refused to accept it because they wanted me to print it off, sign it then scan it back in and email it to them. I didn't do it because basically I've done what they've asked, I've acknowledged the request, said I don't need the manual handling training because I never lift anything and responded in a timely manner. Why do they need a signed copy of the form to say I don't need it? Isn't that a bit like a double glazing salesperson asking you to sign a form to say you don't need double glazing?

I do want to be awkward because legally I don't think I need to complete the form in the first place and secondly I can't be bothered printing, signing and scanning the form. I know I'm being pedantic but I'd like some advice on what to do and please don't say just print, sign, scan and email the darn form!
        over 99% of us would have printed, signed, scanned and email the form back in half the time it took you to write this post

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Unsure if you are really self employed or a limited company contractor.
          if it is the latter and it comes under the health and safety banner, why don't you just give them exactly what they want?
          I am a ltd co contractor. I believe that by filling in the form and emailing it back, that should be good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            over 99% of us would have printed, signed, scanned and email the form back in half the time it took you to write this post
            True, but the requirement by the employer is to assess who needs manual handling training, not get them to print, scan, sign and email your answer. An email is sufficient to be an audit trail.

Comment

I'd like some advice on what to do and please don't say just print, sign, scan and email the darn form!
              What advice would you like to hear?

Last time I got some manual handling was that night with NLyUK <<shudders>>

Comment

I am a ltd co contractor. I believe that by filling in the form and emailing it back, that should be good enough.
                It doesn't really matter what you think is good enough. The client isn't your employer, they are your company's client.

And if you don't want the client to bin you over signing, scanning and emailing something back (a task that even the most pedantic among us would do) then sign it.

Otherwise don't but be prepared for the client to bin you.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  It doesn't really matter what you think is good enough. The client isn't your employer, they are your company's client.

And if you don't want the client to bin you over signing, scanning and emailing something back (a task that even the most pedantic among us would do) then sign it.

Otherwise don't but be prepared for the client to bin you.
                  Agreed.
                  Most of those that know me know I'm a stubborn fecker who will negotiate / fight anything .

This is not a fight I would ever bother to have.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Agreed.
                    Most of those that know me know I'm a stubborn fecker who will negotiate / fight anything .

This is not a fight I would ever bother to have.
                    OK OK OK I've printed, signed, scanned and emailed the blimmin thing.

I had to get over the embarrassment of working out how to scan it back in, (where to insert) while working in the IT department of a large printer/scanner manufacturer. After the whole office taking the P out of me, I've managed to do it.

You all helped me through it, I couldn't have done it without you all. I want to thank my parents, my family and most of all, God.

Comment

Working...
                    X