• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal regret

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Les67 View Post
    tbh, I was in a managerial type role and making a big difference in moving a bad project forward, now the original managers seem to have taken back the helm (I think there has been some internal kickings) and I've now become 'hands on' which means I've become part of the problem rather than part of the solution and it is all turning back to how it was before I started and I can't make a difference anymore (woe is me) I did get a good rate rise with the renewal and I do hear what you are all sayin' - think I needed putting back in my box in hindsight!
    Back in the box with a rate rise, good work there

But you can still make difference, you don't have to be part of the problem if you get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      How long is the contract?
      Til August

Comment

Til August
        Do you think it worth making a "war"? Do you like the role?
        I would do the best as I can and 1 month or 2 before the end I would think about it.

Comment

Til August
          You suck oxygen out the the atmosphere for around 75 years, and you are going to have to be sucking oxygen out of the atmosphere in this role for 1/3 of your hours on the face of the earth for 1/150th of that 75 years.

And you are paid a good rate to do it.

I'd say suck it up, get on with it, get paid. Don't accept a renewal. But you've maintained good business relationships with client and agent, which may or may not pay off in the future, and made some decent money in the process.

You are lucky. Some people get stuck in a perm role they hate for a long, long time, and find it very hard to do anything about it. Other people are stuck on the bench for a long time and start to get in financial trouble. You are making good money and the end of the bad situation is already in sight.

Sure, it's not the best situation in the world, but you've signed a contract, you are a businessman, you deliver on the contract because that's how businesses succeed. I doubt there was any "I don't actually like this anymore" provision in the contract. If you are just a worker, what the worker wants and enjoys matters. If you are running a business, you'll take the worker's view into consideration in signing the next contract, but it is going to have to be very bad before you walk away from a contract.

Getting a substitute in could be a completely satisfactory solution, of course, if the client allows it and you have someone willing to take it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            Do you think it worth making a "war"? Do you like the role?
            I would do the best as I can and 1 month or 2 before the end I would think about it.
            I genuinely hate it, it feels more junior, and the relationship with the client seems to have changed for the worse - not sure what happened - whether contractor person was making good progress and exposing weaknesses which has caused friction, etc etc etc, but like I said I did get a rate rise..I suppose I should suck it up, as others have mentioned - it could be a lot worse

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              You suck oxygen out the the atmosphere for around 75 years, and you are going to have to be sucking oxygen out of the atmosphere in this role for 1/3 of your hours on the face of the earth for 1/150th of that 75 years.

And you are paid a good rate to do it.

I'd say suck it up, get on with it, get paid. Don't accept a renewal. But you've maintained good business relationships with client and agent, which may or may not pay off in the future, and made some decent money in the process.

You are lucky. Some people get stuck in a perm role they hate for a long, long time, and find it very hard to do anything about it. Other people are stuck on the bench for a long time and start to get in financial trouble. You are making good money and the end of the bad situation is already in sight.

Sure, it's not the best situation in the world, but you've signed a contract, you are a businessman, you deliver on the contract because that's how businesses succeed. I doubt there was any "I don't actually like this anymore" provision in the contract. If you are just a worker, what the worker wants and enjoys matters. If you are running a business, you'll take the worker's view into consideration in signing the next contract, but it is going to have to be very bad before you walk away from a contract.

Getting a substitute in could be a completely satisfactory solution, of course, if the client allows it and you have someone willing to take it on.
              Ye so true, and this is funding longer term plans, posting on here has kind of kicked my own ass

Comment

tbh, I was in a managerial type role and making a big difference in moving a bad project forward, now the original managers seem to have taken back the helm (I think there has been some internal kickings) and I've now become 'hands on' which means I've become part of the problem rather than part of the solution and it is all turning back to how it was before I started and I can't make a difference anymore (woe is me) I did get a good rate rise with the renewal and I do hear what you are all sayin' - think I needed putting back in my box in hindsight!
                Assuming that you're operating outside of IR35, my main concern would be how what you're doing differs from the statement of work on your contract extension.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I genuinely hate it, it feels more junior, and the relationship with the client seems to have changed for the worse - not sure what happened - whether contractor person was making good progress and exposing weaknesses which has caused friction, etc etc etc, but like I said I did get a rate rise..I suppose I should suck it up, as others have mentioned - it could be a lot worse
                  So it's your mindset that's the problem. Contracting has its ups and downs. To take the money in and enjoy the good times you've got to suffer a few not so good ones. You can bail everytime you aren't happy. I'm sure with the right attitude and a bit of effort you could maneuver yourself in to something you can swallow but you are gonna have to man up.

I'd echo the comment about your contracted schedule if work. Just being moved about in contract regardless of your schedule is not good.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When you expose weakness you need also find a solution.

Comment

Ye so true, and this is funding longer term plans, posting on here has kind of kicked my own ass
                      Yeah, that happens sometimes. Getting someone else's perspective helps us see what we should have been seeing all along. You've done well to be able to see it, and it is good to acknowledge it, too.

Good luck with it all.

Comment

Working...
                      X