• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent rate negotiations after being in place for a while

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Agent's probably already got someone lined up prepared to work for less than you, and will be telling client how much better than you he is
    I'd put money on that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well I did have a reasonable conversation with PM here on site and also senior client manager here. They both understood and were happy for an increase for the reasons stated BUT it had to be ratified by head office.

BUT, head office have basically said "Eh whats that about extra tax? Not our problem no increase no way sorry."

I've decided to stay anyway. Client are pretty good - it doesn't seem professional now for me to walk out on the local guys with two days notice when its out of their control. I know I could and local guys know full well that is the case. Also, I've not got anything else lined up!

Current project runs until end may (which is how long extension for) so I've agreed not to leave them in the lurch for now.

Call it a bit of a loss leader but, I've worked out its costing me about £15/day extra (dividend tax) so seems pretty silly to leave over this. If client had been crap and/or I had something else it would have been different.

I think my client is not going to be the first to react in this way. Think this may well be the standard reaction.

Just hope there are enough people out there who are in a position to tell the agency/client to stuff their short sighted attitude.

Nothing is going to change until it starts to hurt clients directly I fear. Its going to take a while for it to hit home and push rates up.

Comment

No way would I have asked anyone at end client side anything to do with rates and my tax expectations based on government changes, unless I was direct.

If I was to have asked agent and they blew me out I'd have simply got something else if I was pished at tax increases.

As for the role change, unless it was going to give me a little bit of string I could attach to my bow, I'd have just said no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
          Well I did have a reasonable conversation with PM here on site and also senior client manager here. They both understood and were happy for an increase for the reasons stated BUT it had to be ratified by head office.

BUT, head office have basically said "Eh whats that about extra tax? Not our problem no increase no way sorry."

I've decided to stay anyway. Client are pretty good - it doesn't seem professional now for me to walk out on the local guys with two days notice when its out of their control. I know I could and local guys know full well that is the case. Also, I've not got anything else lined up!

Current project runs until end may (which is how long extension for) so I've agreed not to leave them in the lurch for now.

Call it a bit of a loss leader but, I've worked out its costing me about £15/day extra (dividend tax) so seems pretty silly to leave over this. If client had been crap and/or I had something else it would have been different.

I think my client is not going to be the first to react in this way. Think this may well be the standard reaction.

Just hope there are enough people out there who are in a position to tell the agency/client to stuff their short sighted attitude.

Nothing is going to change until it starts to hurt clients directly I fear. Its going to take a while for it to hit home and push rates up.
          It was a mistake mentioning the dividend tax, as they're correct it's not their problem.

Your focus should be on the role\skills - if these have indeed changed and command a higher rate then it is a reasonable request and one head office will have understood, might not have agreed mind :-)

Does this approach work? YES :-) I've just renewed (a new contract) having been here 12 months. Agreed with the client this role was substantially different and requested a rate rise (double my old rate) which was agreed
          Last edited by gables; 25 February 2016, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
            (double my old rate) which was agreed
            Sounds like you massively under sold yourself for 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Sounds like you massively under sold yourself for 12 months
              I can't believe this has ever happened, I've seen it typed a few times, or variations thereof, but I'm with you here, either ripped off royally for year one or poster and client have gone into the drugs business together.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                It was a mistake mentioning the dividend tax, as they're correct it's not their problem.

Your focus should be on the role\skills - if these have indeed changed and command a higher rate then it is a reasonable request and one head office will have understood, might not have agreed mind :-)

Does this approach work? YES :-) I've just renewed (a new contract) having been here 12 months. Agreed with the client this role was substantially different and requested a rate rise (double my old rate) which was agreed
                Jackanory time again?

Comment

Working...
                X