• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension - attempted rate cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to know that the potential is there for a decent long-ish contract, but since it's not guaranteed, it's not a good enough reason to accept a rate cut.

Whether it is coming from the client or the agent, they must think you are stupid.

Comment

My IB gig is up for renewal. I haven't had a rate increase since I started. I'm wary of asking for one in case the request is reviewed by the clientco, and they use it as an reason to replace me with an offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        My IB gig is up for renewal. I haven't had a rate increase since I started. I'm wary of asking for one in case the request is reviewed by the clientco, and they use it as an reason to replace me with an offshore.
        If you are happy with it why rock the boat.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One trick I've encountered that I've seen once or twice that agents use. You speak to agent and say, right, I want a rate increase, lets talk about your margin. You might even say, please dont go to client and ask them we're talking purely your cut here.

Agent goes straight to client and says contractor x says hes off unless you pay £x extra. Of course, client is thinking hmm first I've heard. If clients says ok I'll pay then agent keeps his cut even extends it. If they say no, agent goes back to contractor and says client said no!

Watch out for this one.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If you are happy with it why rock the boat.
            Is the boat being rocked or am I just presuming how a client works? What about the if you don't ask you don't policy. It's a tricky one.

Comment

Is the boat being rocked or am I just presuming how a client works? What about the if you don't ask you don't policy. It's a tricky one.
              It can be. If they are fixed rates it simply won't work. If you are crap at negotiationing and go in limp twisted it won't work etc. Manyany threads on asking for a rate increase so maybe have a read of some of them?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did it come from the client or the agent? Maybe you should suggest the agent is doing sod all for the repeat business and should be reducing their margin.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Did it come from the client or the agent? Maybe you should suggest the agent is doing sod all for the repeat business and should be reducing their margin.
                  Agent? never used one - all my work is direct.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    But there is no stability. Just a 'plan' from the client that they want you there for the duration. This might change - no sense in taking lower rate hoping it'll provide stability.
                    This is specifically why I said "amended contracted". You want a 12 month commitment? Great, let's agree on reciprocal notice periods. Otherwise it's as good as a 1 day contract.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                      This is specifically why I said "amended contracted". You want a 12 month commitment? Great, let's agree on reciprocal notice periods. Otherwise it's as good as a 1 day contract.
                      MOO Means that any contract length is only as good as a 1 day contract!

Comment

Working...
                      X