• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension - attempted rate cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    In the current climate, stability is attractive, when supported by an amended contract.
    But there is no stability. Just a 'plan' from the client that they want you there for the duration. This might change - no sense in taking lower rate hoping it'll provide stability.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
      Got offered 12 months extension, only ever been a load of 6 week - 2 month extensions so far, but a big bit of work has landed they need my skill set for...

Quiet chat later and I'm just waiting on the paperwork before I draft the contract... sneaky things tried to put a 15% day rate cut through due to the length of the contract they are offering

I've played tough, so will see how this pans out... you often hear people say on here you have to be prepared to walk, so lets see who blinks first!
      I'd also be a bit narked that they tried to slip this in like this without at least discussing things first. I work on the principle that if I've been at a client a while, we both are open and honest to each other and dont shaft the other.

In your case, I'd expect a discussion on this - even if its sorry, this is all we can afford etc and we know its lower than normal. Not chuck it in and hope no-one notices. If client tried this one, I'd then be very very wary about what else they were trying to get.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        A 12 month contract is worthless if the notice period they have to give is just a week
        This! And of course notice periods are useless anyway.....

Comment

A 12-month contract has no more security than a 3-monther. If they've got a 12-month plan, they'll have factored you in at your current rate in their initial budget calculations anyway. Take a 3-monther on current rate and keep invoicing and renewing.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Take the 15% cut the job market is tough right now! Lots of reluctant bench warmers in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              In the current climate, stability is attractive, when supported by an amended contract.
              Until they decide to exercise the notice period and terminate you early, furlough you, or just tell you there's no work. You do have MOO in your contract right?

I fell for the 'long contract so lower rate' thing in my 2nd contract years ago, and the company I was working for ran out of money and terminated all their contractors 5 months in to a 12 month contract. Wouldn't do it again.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Until they decide to exercise the notice period and terminate you early, furlough you, or just tell you there's no work. You do have MOO in your contract right?

I fell for the 'long contract so lower rate' thing in my 2nd contract years ago, and the company I was working for ran out of money and terminated all their contractors 5 months in to a 12 month contract. Wouldn't do it again.
                Correct. Your actual contract is as long as your notice period.

Having a rate cut imposed on you is one thing but the long contract/low rate ploy is a standard tactic/carrot that they dangle from time to time.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

All depends on the notice period

Comment

Originally posted by jamespoole View Post
                    All depends on the notice period
                    How do you mean?

Comment

Well I have taken the middle path, by pushing back they have agreed a much smaller reduction (circa 4%), to be honest I am tempted just to accept, due to the level of interest I have in the work rather than the 12 month "carrot". I said I would tell them next week.

You never know I may breach the 24 month rule on this one....

Cheers for the balance of advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X