• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to contracting

Hi All,

So I am looking to return to the contracting market, I have been in permanent employment for about 8 years where I contracted for 4 years prior to that.

I want to manage my own expectations as to how likely I am in being able to secure a contract or not looking at the contracts out there and the rates that are advertised.

So I would be applying for the contracts that typical advertise Microsoft Server, Exchange, VMWare, SAN, SCCM etc for which I have strong to good skills in these areas. When seeing "URGENT" contracts advertised in these areas the day rate is anything from £250-£350 a day.

My worry is, am I going to find it difficult in finding a contract when I have little to no contracting history? My CV is hopefully very good in terms of demonstrating I would be knowledgeable in these areas.

Thanks

Good luck finding anything the market is slow & these roles are offering lower than ever money.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...iday-lull.html

Comment

Well I chose the right time to return to the contracting market.

Comment

Originally posted by geezgeez View Post
        Hi All,

So I am looking to return to the contracting market, I have been in permanent employment for about 8 years where I contracted for 4 years prior to that.

I want to manage my own expectations as to how likely I am in being able to secure a contract or not looking at the contracts out there and the rates that are advertised.

So I would be applying for the contracts that typical advertise Microsoft Server, Exchange, VMWare, SAN, SCCM etc for which I have strong to good skills in these areas. When seeing "URGENT" contracts advertised in these areas the day rate is anything from £250-£350 a day.

My worry is, am I going to find it difficult in finding a contract when I have little to no contracting history? My CV is hopefully very good in terms of demonstrating I would be knowledgeable in these areas.

Thanks

I don't think contracting experience will have much bearing tbh... I returned to contracting this year after a 13 year gap (5 years own retail business, 7 years public sector IT) from my previous time contracting (1993-2002) which I did after 4 years of permie straight from uni. Also, I had a 7 month gap immediately prior to this contract, I left in June 2014 started contract February this year, didn't start looking properly until November 2014.

I was however prepared to take a lower rate, in fact the lowest ever, but I wanted back in and to be up and running which I am.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
          I don't think contracting experience will have much bearing tbh... I returned to contracting this year after a 13 year gap (5 years own retail business, 7 years public sector IT) from my previous time contracting (1993-2002) which I did after 4 years of permie straight from uni. Also, I had a 7 month gap immediately prior to this contract, I left in June 2014 started contract February this year, didn't start looking properly until November 2014.

I was however prepared to take a lower rate, in fact the lowest ever, but I wanted back in and to be up and running which I am.
          To be fair that's what I would be more than willing to do. I think as long as I can earn in or around what I would be earning take home as to what I do currently then that would be fine for me. I think it works out at about £180 a day, so hopefully I can secure something for at least that.

Comment

There is never a right time now its hit or miss all the time recently keep looking hope it improves is all you can do or go perm again its safer.

With the next tax laws changing in April 2016 no-one knows how much worse contracting is going to get all we know is the base values are changing & its going to be a lot less lucrative unless accountants come up with LLC partnership schemes which are more tax efficient.
            How much will the April 2016 dividend tax changes cost you?

Comment

I think it's going to go two ways for me next year...

1. a lot of the new contractors go running back to permiedom, so after a while the ones that stay will have more opportunity...so here's to me hoping I can stick it out...
              2. go get a nice easy permie job near where I live...

I am finding rates to be getting lower and lower, and once I add on travel and accommodation, the few thousand pounds I earn extra compared to being a permie seems to be poor trade off to be able to live at home, see my wife and kids, have a decent life outside work.... and holidays....

I've contracted for 10 years now, and I am worried if I can stay contractable for the next 10!!

Comment

You rode out the Great Recession, so hats off to ya

IMO best time to have returned was about 2/3 yrs ago, I've been going great guns since early 2012, little wobbly early this year though but doing well now.

Comment

Working...
                X