• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving mid contract - how to tell the client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh please! What makes you think running a business suits you if you dont look around for better solutions for problems?

If you have nothing useful to add, would it not make more business sense to do something else (more productive?)

Stop being so mean guys! get a life!!

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
      I have a 2 week notice. I am happy to work a cppl of weeks beyond this and even support my replacement for a few more weeks after i leave.
      Then exercise your contractual right, as a business, and give notice; don't see what's so difficult here
      If they wanted to get rid of you, would they show the same level of concern?
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Thanks Steelydan. I have to give them a reason (out of courtesy). What can I tell them to just keep the discussion short? I have a decent relationship with my boss - i dont want to offend him by saying the truth ( sinking ship - poor management etc)

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
          Thanks Steelydan. I have to give them a reason (out of courtesy). What can I tell them to just keep the discussion short? I have a decent relationship with my boss - i dont want to offend him by saying the truth ( sinking ship - poor management etc)
          "i had to ask anonymous keyboard warriors on the internet how best to break the bad news to you rather than have an honest and truthful discussion, it's really pathetic i know"

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            "i had to ask anonymous keyboard warriors on the internet how best to break the bad news to you rather than have an honest and truthful discussion, it's really pathetic i know"
            Typing away useless posts when you have nothing useful to add - even more pathetic!!

Comment

Tell them the truth. Project dying, better contract elsewhere. Stick to the terms of your contract and then walk away.

I wouldn't be bothered about annoying them, if they can't run a project now why would you want to go back to them in the future anyway?

Running a business should be a dispassionate process.
              Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Christ, it's a reasonable enough question isn't it? If you think you succeed in business by not asking questions from other people who've been in your situation before, you're an idiot.

Personally, I can't help as I haven't left a contract midway through before, though was sorely tempted to before. I imagine I'd be straight with them, offer to help with handover, probably offer to do one or two days training of the replacement for free if I wanted to keep relations friendly. I'd also be prepared to be let go immediately.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice/giving-notice

Comment

Plenty of situations in these posts that might provide some insight in to your situation...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...GbJcuva-XVt9AF
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have left a contract half way through. Just invoke the notice clause and tell the agent very politely that you are leaving for a more attractive contract. Say you regret leaving and so on, and point out how the new gig is better for you, right now (closer to home, better rate etc) and they will understand. Don't say you are leaving because your current contract is rubbish. Don't say anything bad about the current gig. Say you are sad to be leaving etc. etc.

I would then leave the agent to tell the client, or perhaps tell the client a day or two after. But I would tell the agent first as a courtesy, because that's who you are in a contract with.

Comment

Working...
                      X