• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do agencies lie in their contract postings?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do agencies lie in their contract postings?

This is probably a pretty naive question...

I've never used an agent before, but times are tough. I was browsing yesterday and came across this ad from Computer Futures. It's now all over the web, on lots of other job sites.

This was a surprise, because Norwich isn't a big place, and I know it well, and I'm pretty sure that there's no-one within 20 or 30 miles of Norwich who would use this technology. I spent a couple of hours googling, and have convinced myself that this is a scam - the killer is that a well-known IPTV company in Cambridge claims to have 850 customers, and would use exactly this technology.

So what's going on? Do all agencies lie? Can I believe anything I see advertised, or is it just Computer Futures doing this?

Originally posted by dac42 View Post
    Do all agencies lie?
    Possibly not all of them, but certainly a very high percentage do.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Mind you, salary rates in Norwich don't seem to be too good anyway:

Salary: £30 - £40 per month + competitive
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The (lack of) level of detail and mistakes in that ad show it's a fake one just to obtain CV's
        It also claims to be a contract with a salary of £30 - £40 per month + competitive (whatever + competitive may mean) The pimp didn't even try to make it look like a real job or contract.

Comment

I've found several more in Norwich which are clearly fakes - here's one, which is also now all over the web.

These are all from a certain Nicholas Bray at Real Staffing, who (a) clearly has never been to Norwich, and (b) can't spell.

So, Real Staffing.
          Not Computer Futures then.
          Oh, wait... so Real Staffing is the division that lies about permie jobs, and Computer Futures is the division that lies about contract jobs?

Comment

I had the same ad emailed to me, being local to Norwich. Unless it's these guys Home | Proxama then you're probably right. It was a blanket email though as just about everyone I know who works in IT got the same one.

Seems odd if it's fake that they would email it out though as they've already got my email address. I ignored it though as it's got zero relevance to my CV.

Comment

Originally posted by dac42 View Post
              I've found several more in Norwich which are clearly fakes - here's one, which is also now all over the web.

These are all from a certain Nicholas Bray at Real Staffing, who (a) clearly has never been to Norwich, and (b) can't spell.

So, Real Staffing.
              Not Computer Futures then.
              Oh, wait... so Real Staffing is the division that lies about permie jobs, and Computer Futures is the division that lies about contract jobs?
              Having checked the CRM system both were live vacancies. To be fair the location on the Norwich job was incorrect and I will be administering geography lessons.

To post a job our staff have to have a valid client, line manager and requirement. The reference is always traceable hence I was able to quickly check this.

I can categorically state that we haven't lied about these vacancies, in answer to your question.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                Having checked the CRM system both were live vacancies. To be fair the location on the Norwich job was incorrect and I will be administering geography lessons.

To post a job our staff have to have a valid client, line manager and requirement. The reference is always traceable hence I was able to quickly check this.

I can categorically state that we haven't lied about these vacancies, in answer to your question.
                Given the rates posted, you need to sort out their maths too I would suggest!!!

Comment

I blame the government for the state of basic education personally.
                  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                    I blame the government for the state of basic education personally.
                    The government did not force you to employ them though

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X