• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency dirty tricks or genuine cock up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I'd been contracting since the mid 90's and to be honest, Ive never come across it before.
    I see all these comments about newbies being screwed over by agents. I've yet to deal with one that's tried any of the tricks and the odd time I've been asked for references I state the case and they back off. If you show them you know your stuff they play straight down the line with you. Problem is all the morons we see on here that let agents take them for a ride so agents think we are all as dumb.

Bearing in mind Bolshie is an experienced contractor and I am sure doesn't appear a push over to an agent I find it very hard to believe they would pull such a stupid transparent trick with such large figures. I know you have to watch your back with these guys but I just can't help thinking they wouldn't be so brazen with a guy who knows his stuff so am slightly leaning towards a genuine mistake here. We do slate them for being useless so it's to be expected they make gaffes from time to time and this could be one of them.

I'd definitely be asking if they are on a fixed margin and getting the answer in an email for use later if they are lying.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just had an agency call me about a role this morning. Talked me through it, then asked me what rate I am on.

I just said, I'll be looking for £x. She then said to me "Is that reasonable? The client hasn't stated a rate yet so I'm trusting you not to be ripping me off".

Comment

If it is one of the banks the agent will likely be on a fixed rate and margins are totally transparent. I'd suggest genuine cock up.
        https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

I have also been contracting since the 1990s & can confirm more than likely the agency put the higher rates in the ad to attract the widest possible range of responses as that is the current tactic being used to gather more CV's.

Most agents are not too bright they operate on the fixed mindset that there is an infinite supply of high quality contractors who will only come out of the woodwork if the price is right!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Bearing in mind Bolshie is an experienced contractor and I am sure doesn't appear a push over to an agent I find it very hard to believe they would pull such a stupid transparent trick with such large figures. I know you have to watch your back with these guys but I just can't help thinking they wouldn't be so brazen with a guy who knows his stuff so am slightly leaning towards a genuine mistake here. We do slate them for being useless so it's to be expected they make gaffes from time to time and this could be one of them.

I'd definitely be asking if they are on a fixed margin and getting the answer in an email for use later if they are lying.
            I expected this to be the case, and no they won't answer whether they are on a fixed margin in an email so record the call.

There are a few apps around for mobile phones. As you are only doing it for your own records you aren't breaking any laws.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X