• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new daily rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I'll do the jokes.

Comment

DBA is a dying skill? How do people administer their databases?
      Permie DBAs. Offshored DBAs logging in from Asia - as I well know.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      DBA's are ten a penny,
      Correct-ish.

Competent DBAs are significantly more expensive.
      Maybe there are one or two still getting top dollar. As a genre - it's a shadow of its former self. Again from personal experience, £350 a day was fine 25-30 years ago.

Comment

i usually ignore the usual rate banter but

when my pm said in a genuine contract negotiation that he couldn't get another 50k through the budget for an extension it made me wonder. pm concluded the meeting before i could ask if my agency was breaking my commission obligation and i never got another opportunity.

I suggest its time to check what the agencies are actually billing hence the original question about agency margins

whats now considered a reasonable margin on rate ?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Dying skill, you need to be thinking "Whats next"
          I've just done a Mongo NoSQL big data project off the back of a SQL_PDW role what would you suggest?

Today its my rate thats being attacked tomorrow it may well be yours

Comment

Originally posted by colinrobinson View Post
            when my pm said in a genuine contract negotiation that he couldn't get another 50k through the budget for an extension it made me wonder. pm concluded the meeting before i could ask if my agency was breaking my commission obligation and i never got another opportunity.

I suggest its time to check what the agencies are actually billing hence the original question about agency margins

whats now considered a reasonable margin on rate ?
            Why on earth would all the agencies collectively decide to squeeze DBA roles collectively but not everything else?

You make it sound like a conspiracy theory.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Why on earth would all the agencies collectively decide to squeeze DBA roles collectively but not everything else?

You make it sound like a conspiracy theory.
              This ^^

Unless you have evidence of some downward trend going back say 6 months, it's much more likely to be just the current state of the market.

Comment

Competent DBAs are significantly more expensive.

And just because you can do SQL doesn't mean you can do DBA work - as a DBA you're rarely allowed to touch anything that the developers have written, even if you knew what it was meant to do in the first place.

This. It's when non DBAs install SQL when they just do the click and run install that pi$$es me off. And then it ends up in full production with no downtime to fix their mistakes.

/rantover

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

SaaS etc etc also means than fewer places need their own DBAs. Same number of DBAs + fewer positions = lower rates.

Comment

With Oracles new cloud database, and no doubt a service from Oracle to manage these databases from off shored locations Im glad Im not a DBA these days.

Comment

Originally posted by scope View Post
                      With Oracles new cloud database, and no doubt a service from Oracle to manage these databases from off shored locations Im glad Im not a DBA these days.
                      DBA contracts are going going gone. Cloud taken over. All managed services. Bobs are killing off the BI market. BI was a growing skill over last 8 years, but now it's flooded. Only the strong or cheap shall remain.

Comment

Working...
                      X