• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reason for leaving - help needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stit View Post
    Can I give the below as reason for employment ending ? :
    I wanted to start contracting and Manchester was far from my home and family in London and wanted to get back to and work in London. So I resigned.
    IF, they will only provide dates for your employment when asked (ie references) then you'll be fine.

If you are going for contracts, the question probably won't even be asked.

Agree with the other though, contracting may not be for you if you cannot manage to make it through a probation period of a permie job UNLESS there is anyway the company is struggling, can't afford you, had a project fall through etc and that is the only reason they aren't keeping you on.

Comment

OP, have you successfully delivered a number of projects over a number of years?

Comment

Originally posted by stit View Post
        <snip>
        My present situation is that I am seeing an issue with my manager and she seems to be having very high expectations from me. I am sure she will not be giving a good feedback. My probation discussion is due for next week.

<snip> However, it has six months probation and if my probation ends, then it will end before 6 months. My colleagues know about my contributions and appreciate it. They have also offered me references in case I need it.
        Is the issue your output or internal politics?

If it's the former then you should not go contracting until you start performing. Contractors who don't perform are walked from sites and in some cases aren't paid for the work they produce if they can't provide evidence they did it satisfactorily.

If it's the latter and you get on with your colleagues then don't worry about it. Though it's worth learning how to deal with management. In my first contract I ended up having regular meetings with the CEO of the client company. Luckily my circle of extended family and friends' includes people who are and were in that position.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Is the issue your output or internal politics?

If it's the former then you should not go contracting until you start performing. Contractors who don't perform are walked from sites and in some cases aren't paid for the work they produce if they can't provide evidence they did it satisfactorily.

If it's the latter and you get on with your colleagues then don't worry about it. Though it's worth learning how to deal with management. In my first contract I ended up having regular meetings with the CEO of the client company. Luckily my circle of extended family and friends' includes people who are and were in that position.
          The Ewings, the Carringtons... must be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            The Ewings, the Carringtons... must be nice
            Yeah that's why I'm drunk all the time. Though I definitely didn't shoot JR.

Anyway the OP if they go for another permie job in London just needs to say he wanted to live in another city in the UK but he missed [random close family member] too much.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              When a recruiter is looking for a contractor it's usually to fill an immediate short term role and typically all they're interested in is a) when are you available?, b) can you do it?, c) how much?
              Sometimes not even the second one, if they think you can blag it.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                +1 to that. If this is upsetting you wait until you get walked off site with no reason!
                There's always a reason.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  There's always a reason.
                  Quite right. I meant to say no notice.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                    Contracting is not for you by the sounds of it.
                    Can I know why do you think so?

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
                      I wouldn't even think about contracting until you can manage the above section bolded - in my opinion, this only gets worse when you're on a day rate.
                      I have observed many contractors in my team and my company. There does not seem to be significant difference in work and expectations between contractors and permies. The contracting colleagues in my team are suggesting me to start contracting.

Comment

Working...
                      X