• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 week notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 week notice period?

If I was to give only one week and walk out what's the worst that can happen? Also the fact that I won't start to get paid until after 28 days is annoying me. Can agency with hold pay?

Well, for asking how you can break a contract that you voluntarily entered into, you'll already attract opprobrium from the members of this site.

The worst that could happen is that they hire paid assassins "pour encourager les autres". The worst that is likely to happen is that you'll annoy your client and the agency, which may (depending on your sector) affect your ability to get work. You probably will eventually get the money for the work you've carried out, but it will probably take considerable time, effort and angst.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The worst that can happen you won't get paid anything they owe you. There is a thread going on about that right now. You breached contract so they are due damages. They will withhold everything they owe you in lieu of damages.

Seriously why would you breached contract just to wait for 28 days to get paid which is likely to be explained in the contract? Look on the flip side you get paid 28 days after you finish the contract.

If you can't cope with the terms you agreed to and want to act unprofessionally by throwing your teddy out of the cot please go back to premie. You are making it harder from those that are cut out for contracting.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASCII View Post
        If I was to give only one week and walk out what's the worst that can happen? Also the fact that I won't start to get paid until after 28 days is annoying me. Can agency with hold pay?
        The worst that can happen is that the agency sue you for breach of contract, looking to recoup their losses as a result of your actions. You then choose to fight it, it goes to court, you lose and they get a costs award against you, and they produce a bill that you have to pay. The story gets into the press about how you walked out on the contract, fought the case and lost, and no client ever wants to work with you again. You lose everything and die homeless and penniless on the streets with no-one to mourn you.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have been contracting for over 10 years I believe I have been stitched up with this company/agency. Maybe my fault not demanding the contract before starting at the client but honestly I have never had such issues in the past but this experience is a wake up call. I will see what I can negotiate. I see a lot of people here are getting excited and acting very defensive. Do you lot all work for CF?/S3 group?

Comment

I have been contracting for over 10 years I believe I have been stitched up with this company/agency. Maybe my fault not demanding the contract before starting at the client but honestly I have never had such issues in the past but this experience is a wake up call. I will see what I can negotiate. I see a lot of people here are getting excited and acting very defensive. Do you lot all work for CF?/S3 group?
            It's not being defensive, it's looking at the facts of the situation. You started a gig without seeing the contract and are now moaning about payment timescales. No contract review, nothing. Why would we defend CF/S3 when you are clearly in the wrong and it's not their fault? No stitch up, just a contractor that hasn't acted properly and is now paying for it. No maybe about it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Seriously?, 10 years and still wet behind the ears. I would say most replies have been very fair. It's not the agency fault that you signed up to terms that you're not happy with, as for negotiation, good luck, negotiation happens at contract renewal time not 5 minutes into the gig...

Comment

I have been contracting for over 10 years I believe I have been stitched up with this company/agency.
                How can you have been contracting for this long and not realise that when you accept a contract without seeing it, then you are likely to be in a world of pain?

Maybe my fault not demanding the contract before starting at the client
                There's no maybe about it - it's absolutely your fault for accepting a contract without seeing it. Fundamental error, and you are now seeing the results of that.

but honestly I have never had such issues in the past but this experience is a wake up call.
                At least it's a wake-up call for you - if this is how you have been working for ten years, then you have been extremely lucky in the past. Count your blessings for how well it has worked in the past, since they could all have gone this way if this is how you have always worked.

I will see what I can negotiate.
                Good luck. If I was an agent, I would be interested in negotiating anything until renewal time, though - why would they?

I see a lot of people here are getting excited and acting very defensive. Do you lot all work for CF?/S3 group?
                Well, there's only three people who have responded so far, and I don't see anyone being defensive or excited. If you think this thread is exciting, maybe you need to get out more
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Since you have nothing to go to, if you aren't happy then why not just give the four weeks notice, work that and then leave, rather than breaching the contract?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Since you have nothing to go to, if you aren't happy then why not just give the four weeks notice, work that and then leave, rather than breaching the contract?
                    That is what I am going to do in a few moments thanks for the help input and rage

Comment

Working...
                    X