• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU demands more money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    I think your generalisation goes further to explain it, than 1 'media org'.

Go on - tell us how 17 million people are all thick, and that you (and others) know better....

Then ask yourself if the vote, was at least in part, a rebellious act by some of the public - against such people with similar views of contempt
    Probably because many of those 17 million believed headlines such as these:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Haven't we been issuing the same threat now week after week, only to then surrender and offer up even more money. May, Boris, Davis et al clearly know that the EU has us over a barrel else they would have walked by now. The EU know they have us over a barrel else they would be starting the trade talks by now. The only idiots who don't see the reality of all this is those that voted out ... but then they only believe what they see on the side of a bus or on Facebook
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Are all 17 million thick? No. Is there a correlation between being thick and supporting Brexit? It would appear so.

https://www.onlineprivacyfoundation....rendum-update/ (see linky for graphs refeenced in quote below).
        A correlation in the results of a web-based survey etc, that was 0.06591% (11205) of the 17 million - careful you don't try and ascribe causation, given the statistically insignificant low sample size (in proportion to the target group)!

That being said, I did laugh at this gem on that website you linked;
        "and lower levels of openness and neuroticism than voters expressing an intent to vote to remain."
        Neuroticism- from wiki:
        "is one of the Big Five higher-order personality traits in the study of psychology. Individuals who score high on neuroticism are more likely than average to be moody and to experience such feelings as anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, guilt, depressed mood, and loneliness."
        Yep, that's pretty much remainers alright

Then, for a laugh, I carried on reading and found;
        "In the experimental studies, voters on both sides were, for the most part, found to be similarly susceptible to the cognitive biases tested, specifically ideological motivated reasoning, framing and the Dunning-Kruger effect."
        So there we have it - according to this currently informal study, both sides are susceptible to specifically ideological motivated reasoning, framing, etc.

"Next Steps
        We are currently working through the completion of a formal paper and will be presenting results at the International Conference on Political Psychology in Copenhagen."
        Sooooo, not yet peer-reviewed?

Side-question: Shouldn't you/we be pitying thick people for their (expected) poor choices, instead of laughing/sneering/cheering at the potential hurt and pain they've caused themselves?
        (I know, I know, that would mean having compassion and empathy - but thought I'd ask anyway)
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Probably because many of those 17 million believed headlines such as these:
          images snipped
          Aaaaaand there we are right on cue.

At least you've toned down the pomposity of 'all' to merely the contempt of 'many of' those 17 million.

Tell me, when were those 17 million people interviewed about the reasons behind their votes? (the link from NlyUk was 11205/17000000 and we assume half of those were remainers)

Do you have any evidence they not only 'believed headlines such as these', but also that it was the only factor in voting for them?

Thought not.

Rant away, but don't dress up your beliefs as facts and then try to stereotype/generalise based on those same beliefs.
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Rant away, but don't dress up your beliefs as facts and then try to stereotype/generalise based on those same beliefs.
            What like Leavers do with Remainers
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Glad you agree your posts about leavers believing this or that are just your own brainfarts, with no credible evidence behind them

So remainers are no better than leavers?
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Glad you agree your posts about leavers believing this or that are just your own brainfarts, with no credible evidence behind them

So remainers are no better than leavers?
                On CUK, all are idiots.

Comment

A correlation in the results of a web-based survey etc, that was 0.06591% (11205) of the 17 million - careful you don't try and ascribe causation, given the statistically insignificant low sample size (in proportion to the target group)!

That being said, I did laugh at this gem on that website you linked;

Neuroticism- from wiki:

Yep, that's pretty much remainers alright

Then, for a laugh, I carried on reading and found;

So there we have it - according to this currently informal study, both sides are susceptible to specifically ideological motivated reasoning, framing, etc.

Sooooo, not yet peer-reviewed?

Side-question: Shouldn't you/we be pitying thick people for their (expected) poor choices, instead of laughing/sneering/cheering at the potential hurt and pain they've caused themselves?
                  (I know, I know, that would mean having compassion and empathy - but thought I'd ask anyway)
                  See if you can work out how you have muddled things up around statistical significance and causation.

Comment

Aaaaaand there we are right on cue.

At least you've toned down the pomposity of 'all' to merely the contempt of 'many of' those 17 million.

Tell me, when were those 17 million people interviewed about the reasons behind their votes? (the link from NlyUk was 11205/17000000 and we assume half of those were remainers)

Do you have any evidence they not only 'believed headlines such as these', but also that it was the only factor in voting for them?

Thought not.

I come from a working class area in the midlands. On facebook I am still connected to a lot of people from that area. Almost to a man (and woman) they were sharing these and many more headlines during the whole of the campaign. I would consider them pretty representative of the blue collar, working class, none SE in our society. They were all influenced by these headlines and to a man (and woman) voted out.

FWIW I was so disgusted by a lot of what I saw on read on their FB pages that after 40+ years of knowing these people I had to defriend them. Not because they voted out, but the racist and xenophobic posts.

So yes I do have evidence and yes I do believe these headlines influenced voting.

Next.......
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

no we just can't believe you all fell for Project Fear.

Us Brexiters are wondering when everyone is going home because there aren't any jobs. Or when we need to take our wheelbarrow down the bakers due to inflation.

Its all just you wait, you will be sorry when your dad gets home/ you finally leave/ when the sky falls in.....
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X