• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing Accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Dammit

I may have a spare pony going soon if that helps?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working hard for all these years to build a good reputation, and I could have short cut the whole thing by giving out iPad Minis. And ponies.

You live and learn.....
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Newtocontracting13 View Post
        Hi,

Can I ask what your challenges have been with Brookson please? I have signed up but wondering if this has been a mistake.
        I signed up with them in January and have had not a single positive experience that I can share. They will promise you everything but then deliver on nothing. I can now understand why they focus so heavily on marketing and other tricks to pull in new customers. I still haven't even got my promised welcome gift!

I am not asking them for anything fancy or convoluted, just a simple ltd company with myself as director plus my spouse as a shareholder and employee, pretty run of the mill stuff from a tax planning perspective.

Since joining them:
        - they have failed to produce a even a single set of legible accounts.
        - I incurred a £1000+ NI tax charge because Brookson failed to advise me in a timely manner when I specifically asked if this would be the case - when I asked for ways to rectify this situation I was met with silence.
        - their connect system is a complete joke and fails to provide any accurate information regarding the current state of my business or personal finances and tax position
        - transactions and payments made from my business bank account statements are incorrectly classified despite using their connect system to allocate the payments (under guidance of Brookson over the phone) and trying to get it sorted via phone calls and emails to Brookson.
        - weekly phone calls to the customer services line fail to improve the situation, despite numerous promises of "I'lll look into that for you." and "I'll have to hand this over to X department and they will get back to you."
        - expenses reported in a clear an legible format are not captured accurately requiring me to check the entries line by line to find the errors made by brookson when capturing the information.

As things stand I feel I would be far better off simply doing my own accounting - after weeks of banging my head against a wall trying to get clarity from Brookson it took me 10 minutes to check my tax liabilities and assess my current situation - there have been no more than 25 transactions since my business opened, so they cannot blame complexity as the route cause... Leading me to conclude that it is ineptitude.

They may get things right for some people, but they have proven to be a total waste of time and money in my experience.

Would really like to know how things have gone for you since singing up in January?

Comment

Originally posted by benjooles View Post
          Would really like to know how things have gone for you since singing up in January?
          I'm sorry to hear that this is your experience. Brookson constantly strive to deliver excellent levels of service and based on regular positive customer feedback and high volumes of new referrals, know this is the case for the majority of our customers.

A member of the Brookson team will be in contact with you today to resolve any outstanding points of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrookson View Post
            I'm sorry to hear that this is your experience. Brookson constantly strive to deliver excellent levels of service and based on regular positive customer feedback and high volumes of new referrals, know this is the case for the majority of our customers.

A member of the Brookson team will be in contact with you today to resolve any outstanding points of concern.
            The fact that you've taken 2 weeks to reply to this post isn't a good recommendation of your levels of service!
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I've signed up just to reply to this, although I appreciate that I am a newbie and it's just my opinion.

I signed up with Brookson in January, and found the service terrible.
              They overcharged my on my first invoice when they hadn't done anything at all for me, when I emailed them to correct this it took 2 follow up emails, several calls and 3 weeks to resolve.

They were then asked (via email that included client details) to raise an invoice for me, which they then sent to the wrong client!

It took me 2 weeks to get anyone from their 'customer services team' to call me to raise as a complaint.

Oh, and they tried to charge me for 'additional' services, that once a complaint was raised, they said were actually included in the headline rate.

Suffice to say I left them pretty quickly. It's a shame, because as the above poster has said, their marketing is good and their sales pitch is slick. What a shame they don't deliver what they promise.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                The fact that you've taken 2 weeks to reply to this post isn't a good recommendation of your levels of service!
                Do you expect every accountant to be checking CUK to see if anything has been said about them?

Given that James only registered in April and that was his first post, it seems a little harsh to be critical that he hasn't replied to something that he probably wasn't aware of.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Do you expect every accountant to be checking CUK to see if anything has been said about them?

Given that James only registered in April and that was his first post, it seems a little harsh to be critical that he hasn't replied to something that he probably wasn't aware of.
                  +1 to that. Many accountants that get mentioned never bother so got to give him some credit for doing it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Silly me, I didn't realise that he had joined without knowing this thread existed and just accidentally bumped into it.
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                      Does that work with anything? Even I'd become a client if I got a pony!
                      £25? You're easily pleased

Comment

Working...
                      X