+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 214

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually there isn't a great deal of work around Manchester and Leeds in my skillset. That's the problem.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

kal

Banned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Actually there isn't a great deal of work around Manchester and Leeds in my skillset. That's the problem.
    Which is?

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Which is?
    Excel Access VBA
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for jumping on this old thread, but does anyone know how the 24 month rule would work in my situation:

a) Current and previous contracts with client don't specify a workplace
    b) Depending on what project I'm working on, and manpower requirements, I could be working from any of four or five offices around the country.
    c) Last 18 months has "Mainly" been in Office A (occasional stints for a few days at offices B-E)
    d) For expense purposes I've just been claiming travel to and from Office A (since mileages average out).
    e) Now my fingers are in more of my clients pies, I'm working for weeks at a time at offices B-E (but also A).
    f) Now aware contract with this client extends a further 6 months (so 24 month rule applies).

If I now work from Office A for a day, am I caught by the 40% rule? As to my mind, all of Offices A-E are temporary workplaces, in so much as I don't know where I'll be from one week to the next, but on my expenses it looks like I've been at Office A all of the time.

Umbrella Queen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    Sorry for jumping on this old thread, but does anyone know how the 24 month rule would work in my situation:

a) Current and previous contracts with client don't specify a workplace
    b) Depending on what project I'm working on, and manpower requirements, I could be working from any of four or five offices around the country.
    c) Last 18 months has "Mainly" been in Office A (occasional stints for a few days at offices B-E)
    d) For expense purposes I've just been claiming travel to and from Office A (since mileages average out).
    e) Now my fingers are in more of my clients pies, I'm working for weeks at a time at offices B-E (but also A).
    f) Now aware contract with this client extends a further 6 months (so 24 month rule applies).

If I now work from Office A for a day, am I caught by the 40% rule? As to my mind, all of Offices A-E are temporary workplaces, in so much as I don't know where I'll be from one week to the next, but on my expenses it looks like I've been at Office A all of the time.
    If, over a 24 month period, you spend more than 40% of your time at client site A then the 24 month rule will apply
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    If, over a 24 month period, you spend more than 40% of your time at client site A then the 24 month rule will apply
    Yes but does that mean I cannot claim any travel to any of the 5 different sites? Or just not to Site A?

So if they say "We need to you to work from Site B next week, then Site C for a fortnight after that, before returning to Site A. I should be able to claim 5 journeys to B and 10 to C yes? But none to A since that is my normal place of work in the eyes of HMRC?

Thanks for the reply.

Umbrella Queen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    Yes but does that mean I cannot claim any travel to any of the 5 different sites? Or just not to Site A?

So if they say "We need to you to work from Site B next week, then Site C for a fortnight after that, before returning to Site A. I should be able to claim 5 journeys to B and 10 to C yes? But none to A since that is my normal place of work in the eyes of HMRC?

Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry, site A is the relevant site - travel to B and C would be allowable

Follow us on Twitter.

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, site A is the relevant site - travel to B and C would be allowable
    This came up in a recent case (can't remember where offhand, will have a look later and stick up a link). Each visit to a different site was adjudged to be a separate contract and hence each was a unique (for which read permanent) workplace in the context of that contract. Ergo, no travel costs allowable. So not as clear cut as one might assume.
    Blog? What blog...?

Umbrella Queen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    This came up in a recent case (can't remember where offhand, will have a look later and stick up a link). Each visit to a different site was adjudged to be a separate contract and hence each was a unique (for which read permanent) workplace in the context of that contract. Ergo, no travel costs allowable. So not as clear cut as one might assume.
    But presumably visits to sites B and C would still have to exceed 40% of 24 months? Would be interested in link if you have it Mal

Follow us on Twitter.

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But presumably visits to sites B and C would still have to exceed 40% of 24 months? Would be interested in link if you have it Mal
    It was on the PCG forum. Can't reproduce the summary and subsequent comment obviously, but the judgement is here
    Blog? What blog...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast