• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relocating after 24 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating after 24 months

Can you claim for relocation after working at a site for 'just under' 24 months?

The relocation will be to relocate the business for future contracts (from south to nr. london).

Can you claim the 8k relocation if you meet the relocation criteria - and carry on working at the site where you have worked for 2 years.

Obviously there would be no more expense claims for work in the relocated area.

Would be a sensible 'business' move as work scarce down south.

According the the HMRC website:
    Originally posted by HMRC
    You can qualify for the exemption if
    • you have to move home to
      • take up a new job with a new employer
      • take up a new job with your existing employer
      • continue your current job but at a new location
    • your existing home is not within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
    • the home you move to is within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
    • your employer reimburses your expenses.
    I don't think that you would qualify.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Podgy View Post
      Can you claim for relocation after working at a site for 'just under' 24 months?

The relocation will be to relocate the business for future contracts (from south to nr. london).

Can you claim the 8k relocation if you meet the relocation criteria - and carry on working at the site where you have worked for 2 years.

Obviously there would be no more expense claims for work in the relocated area.

Would be a sensible 'business' move as work scarce down south.
      Is this proggy's new incarnate?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        According the the HMRC website:

I don't think that you would qualify.
        it would fit this criteria?

•continue your current job but at a new location

•your existing home is not within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
        •the home you move to is within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
        •your employer reimburses your expenses.

Comment

But I doubt moving from south London to north London would also meet these:

•your existing home is not within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
          •the home you move to is within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace

Of course "reasonable" is up for debate, but I don't think you can argue that getting the tube across London is unreasonable. (Unpleasant, inconvenient, yes, but I doubt anything less than 1 hour or perhaps even more is unreasonable)

Comment

Some things to think about..

take up a new job with a new employer - Who is your employer?
            take up a new job with your existing employer - Ditto
            continue your current job but at a new location - Will it be your current job?

your existing home is not within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace - Where is your permanent workplace?
            the home you move to is within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace - Ditto
            your employer reimburses your expenses - Where is your employer based.....

I know I have been vague here but the idea is you think about your situation and importantly the situation regarding where your permanent workplace is, who is your employer.. It should become easy to answer once you have this understanding in your head.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              But I doubt moving from south London to north London would also meet these:

Of course "reasonable" is up for debate, but I don't think you can argue that getting the tube across London is unreasonable. (Unpleasant, inconvenient, yes, but I doubt anything less than 1 hour or perhaps even more is unreasonable)
              He said SOUTH to North London... He didn't mention South London.

He is forgetting his home IS his workplace though.. Ooops gave the game away.

Comment

At present, I assume that you have a home office and then work from temporary work places when you are contracting, as you talk of claiming expenses.

So, if you moved your business location somewhere else, what stops you being able to do your job from your current home? You would still be working from an office location in your house, and travelling to temporary work places. Why do you need to change your location to so your job? You don't.

If you want to move, then move. But trying to claim the move as a business expense is taking the piss.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  He said SOUTH to North London... He didn't mention South London.

He is forgetting his home IS his workplace though.. Ooops gave the game away.
                  <pedant>He said south to nr (sic) London</pedant>

I read it as south London to north London the first few goes as well, though.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    <pedant>He said south to nr (sic) London</pedant>

I read it as south London to north London the first few goes as well, though.
                    Oh, I read it as from the South to Near London... I also said 'down south' at the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X