• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backdating Company Pension Contributions re: IR35 investigation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backdating Company Pension Contributions re: IR35 investigation

All,

This is purely a theoretical question, but if anybody has any information that would be great.

Just for background purposes, I’m a fairly new business (Only trading 3 months!) but I am reasonably well versed re: IR35 and took all the necessary precautions when starting out. I expect to remain as a contracting business long term and do not see this as a short term option.

I consider myself outside IR35 and have had my contract reviewed and have adequate representation to defend my status, should it ever be needed. Although confident in this, like most people I am still wary of HMRC constantly moving the goalposts and know that there is always a possibility they could challenge my IR35 status, regardless.

Therefore, assuming the below theoretical contingency, I was wondering what the views are on this.

Assuming my income had been split between my wife and I (65%/35%) and both of us remained below the higher tax threshold, this would pose a large potential liability should this situation arise. I assume the dividend split would be void and the companies income (Let’s say 70k for 1st year) would be all attributed to myself, via a deemed payment less the usual 5% etc. Therefore I would be exposed to 40% tax, Employers NI & Employees NI. Due to the void dividend split this would push me into the 40% bracket etc so would have a significant impact.

I understand that pensions are a good way to offset IR35 risk, as assuming anything above the basic rate threshold will attract 40% tax, Employers NI and Employees NI.

However, as I am a long way off retirement (I’m only 30), I would not really want to plough 12k + a year into a pension to offset maybe half of the 11k IR35 liability that I could potentially be challenged for.

Therefore, my current contingency is to put aside the 10-11k potential tax/Ni liability that I could be challenged for if needed. I am aware of if I were to be caught inside then I would lose the tax benefits of the pension, but for the reasons stated above, my age is a factor to be taking into consideration when decided this.

Thus, my question is:-

Say that in a few years time, my status was successfully challenged by the HMRC and I had to pay backtaxes for several years. Could I, at this stage, then instead backdate pension contributions using the 3 year X 50k allowance (I think that is correct!) to plough a load of money in at this stage, to reduce the liability to HMRC, or can this only be done prior to investigation?

Example :-

Say HMRC challenged and successfully imposed £30k in backtaxes………….. Could I subsequently pay £40k into a company pension, direct from the Ltd. Which would reduce the Employers NI, 40% tax due and Employees NI on this amount, or this just wishful thinking as it could have only been done before the demand was made?

Any expert advice on this would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Baffle

HMRC may well decide youre taking the Michael and react accordingly by converting an IR35 bill into a tax evasion case?

IR35 is on a contract-by-contract basis. The income from the caught contract is liable for full PAYE and NICs on 95% of the gross income for that contract (thought you said you were well versed in IR35...). Pensions don't avoid the risk, they merely reduce the gross income at the cost of sealing away personal income for some years: and if you can afford to do that, do it anyway.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As Mal said this would be viewed as attempted evasion which is far more serious than avoidance in terms of penalties so the basic answer is no this is not a good plan - sorry
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        HMRC may well decide youre taking the Michael and react accordingly by converting an IR35 bill into a tax evasion case?

IR35 is on a contract-by-contract basis. The income from the caught contract is liable for full PAYE and NICs on 95% of the gross income for that contract (thought you said you were well versed in IR35...). Pensions don't avoid the risk, they merely reduce the gross income at the cost of sealing away personal income for some years: and if you can afford to do that, do it anyway.

Malvolio,

I fully understand that pensions do not reduce the risk, they merely reduce liability. So I don't see your point about not being versed on IR35? What I meant by the comment is that I have not just set up shop without taking professional advice etc many have.

When calculating the deemed payment for calculation purposes, is the pension contribution not deducted prior to the calculation of the deemed payment? My point was that to pay enough money into a pension for nearly 30 years to offset half of my IR35 exposure isn't really suitable. Fair enough, if was 45 or something .....

I was asking if it is legal to pay it into a pension anyway, why could you not do it a later stage? You say tax evasion but on what ground? If you can legally pay into a ltd company pension , which reduces IR35 liability if found to be inside at a later stage, then what is stopping you doing this at a later stage and taking advantage of the fact that you have a 50k ltd pension limit and can take advantage of 3 years (iirc) backdated allowance?

I did not imply that it reduces risk of IR35, I was talking purely from a liability standpoint.

Regards,
        Baffle

Comment

Originally posted by Baffle View Post
          Malvolio,

I fully understand that pensions do not reduce the risk, they merely reduce liability. So I don't see your point about not being versed on IR35? What I meant by the comment is that I have not just set up shop without taking professional advice etc many have.

When calculating the deemed payment for calculation purposes, is the pension contribution not deducted prior to the calculation of the deemed payment? My point was that to pay enough money into a pension for nearly 30 years to offset half of my IR35 exposure isn't really suitable. Fair enough, if was 45 or something .....

I was asking if it is legal to pay it into a pension anyway, why could you not do it a later stage? You say tax evasion but on what ground? If you can legally pay into a ltd company pension , which reduces IR35 liability if found to be inside at a later stage, then what is stopping you doing this at a later stage and taking advantage of the fact that you have a 50k ltd pension limit and can take advantage of 3 years (iirc) backdated allowance?

I did not imply that it reduces risk of IR35, I was talking purely from a liability standpoint.

Regards,
          Baffle
          HMR&C would view it that the only reason you were attempted to make back-dated pension contributions, on which you would receive tax relief, would be to try and avoid all or part of an existing tax liability
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            HMR&C would view it that the only reason you were attempted to make back-dated pension contributions, on which you would receive tax relief, would be to try and avoid all or part of an existing tax liability
            Lisa,

Many thanks for your response.

Ok, well as I say purely a theoretical question anyway and certainly wouldn't want to fall foul of evasion so would not attempt it if the situation arises, was just curious as to whether or not it could be done - obviously not!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Baffle View Post
              Say that in a few years time, my status was successfully challenged by the HMRC and I had to pay backtaxes for several years. Could I, at this stage, then instead backdate pension contributions using the 3 year X 50k allowance (I think that is correct!) to plough a load of money in at this stage, to reduce the liability to HMRC, or can this only be done prior to investigation?
              I've wondered about that too, I think it's a fair question. Malvolio and Lisa's opinions are noted, I would now be interested to see what other people think about it. IR35 is by no means black and white so for the sake of the argument, let's consider that the director took all reasonable care to determine their status and there is no question of wrong doing.

Now, if HMRC are going to force the director to restate their income to make it IR35 caught (effectively meaning the earnings would have to be taken as PAYE) then does the director have the option to retrospectively pay it into a pension as they could have done if they had taken salary only?

I don't see that seeking to use a tax break is automatically "tax evasion" either. Let's not forget that the government deliberately set up tax breaks on pension contributions to encourage people to pay into them so why would they not allow it in this situation?
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                I've wondered about that too, I think it's a fair question. Malvolio and Lisa's opinions are noted, I would now be interested to see what other people think about it. IR35 is by no means black and white so for the sake of the argument, let's consider that the director took all reasonable care to determine their status and there is no question of wrong doing.

Now, if HMRC are going to force the director to restate their income to make it IR35 caught (effectively meaning the earnings would have to be taken as PAYE) then does the director have the option to retrospectively pay it into a pension as they could have done if they had taken salary only?

I don't see that seeking to use a tax break is automatically "tax evasion" either. Let's not forget that the government deliberately set up tax breaks on pension contributions to encourage people to pay into them so why would they not allow it in this situation?
                No, absolutely not.

The assessment is made on the basis of what happened. HMRC having demonstrated you applied the incorrect tax treatement to the monies involved, what you have to do now is apply the correct treatment, pay the missing taxes and interest and then work out what to do with what's left.

Which is why moving money around after a judgement but before working out the figures is evasion.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  No, absolutely not.
                  Yes, I've noted your opinion but considering how many times you post wrong information here I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on it.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    Yes, I've noted your opinion but considering how many times you post wrong information here I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on it.
                    Well if backdating your finances are allowed why not pay the money back and back date the dividend paperwork i.e bin it so you effectively didn't pay yourself anything and then just liquidate the company.

Sounds stupid but it's more or less the same thing isn't it. I can't see any backdating being allowed once you are caught. It just doesn't make sense.

but I am sure I post a lot more wrong information than Mal does so
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X