• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RingStinger View Post
    ... according to his advisors.

Seems a mickey-mouse scheme, but you can't help thnking his advisor has a point.

Appeal in £290million tax avoidance case involving Chris Moyles fails and former R1 DJ is now warned to expect huge tax bill | Daily Mail Online
    Moyes, the talentless fat **** was taking the piss with that scheme. I mean 'famous' as a radio DJ and you put down you're a used car dealer?

Im more than happy he's being taken to the cleaners by the leeches.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

HMRC have been looking for a scapegoat to make an example of. Looks like Moyles is their man.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

APN backfiring potentially...

This link is from July so not current news, but interesting nonetheless

Use of APN power could backfire on HMRC, says expert

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
          This link is from July so not current news, but interesting nonetheless

Use of APN power could backfire on HMRC, says expert
          Love the sound of that!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Love the sound of that!
            Yeah me too, I was thinking of a mass co-ordinated campaign of non payment, that'l learn them

Comment

Activity

I joined this forum a few months back with a view to bringing a view from the tax professional side of the fence, aided by my regular meetings with HMRC and their motives. I hope I have brought some objectivity to the debate, supplied some useful information and most of all, taken away some of the mystery of the position you and HMRC are in. Knowledge is power and if you have better knowledge you achieve better results.

My day job is dealing with complex "investment" schemes that HMRC consider are pretty much all tax avoidance schemes. Some of these you will have read about in the papers who report them with varying degrees of accuracy or sympathy depending on who their favourite celebrity is at the time. Backed by 35+ years of working in tax, the last 8 or so in tax "planning", I think I have the right tools.

That day job is demanding more of my time with the result that I will (with considerable regret) be cutting back on the time I spend here.

My firm's main activities are bringing claims for mis-selling the above tax products and finding solutions with HMRC for our clients. To a degree, dependent upon circumstances, that may be of assistance to some of you. If you wish, please PM me for more details.

I'm not leaving completely and will continue to post and provide links to useful information, but I have to be fair to those who pay me.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
                Yeah me too, I was thinking of a mass co-ordinated campaign of non payment, that'l learn them
                The only problem with that is everyone would incur penalties.

However, nothing stopping people challenging the amount of the APNs, which would also cause them a bit of a headache.

Comment

ECHR

What happens if the conservatives get rid of the ECHR? Where do we stand with our day in court?
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
                    What happens if the conservatives get rid of the ECHR? Where do we stand with our day in court?
                    The only real answer is 'nobody knows' - however personally I am not pinning much hope on ECHR. They specifically say that retrospective legislation is not contrary to human rights per se, and that member countries have a wide latitude in application of tax law, and so I'm not overly concerned about the prospect of it being taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
                      For that to happen it wouldn't be anything like instant after the decision is taken and approved. Any cases on the schedule should reasonably expect to be heard.

That being said it's speculation, until (if) it happens the time-scales can't be known.

Comment

Working...
                      X